I'm back from my weekend trip to Otakuthon in Montreal, Quebec! I decided to split this report into two posts after realizing that I took more photos than I thought! >_< My good friend Jess has been mentioning this con to me for a while and I figured it was finally time to go check it out since for once I don't have to deal with summer school or exams! (and I think I was on a roll after AA-ing in APOP anyway lol) I went with my friend Jordan and we stayed at Jess' place near downtown Montreal. I was excited to go to a con in another province but I was really nervous too because I had forgotten most of the French that I had learned in high school...but overall it was okay. ^_^" I tried not to say much in case I offended anyone though, haha..
We arrived on the Thursday night (or should I say 12am Friday morning)
and we were exhausted... so technically this post is just all about
Friday... since the con didn't start until the evening, we had some time
to walk around and check out some stuff around the con centre.
I thought the location was really nice and fresh looking, with lots of color, open spaces, and did I mention GORGEOUS INDOOR LIGHTING?(at least compared to the lighting in the TCC where Anime North is held) I didn't have to edit any of these photos! And I was also too lazy to watermark all of them...but yeah, the main exhibition hall was comprised of official dealers, pro artists and finally the indie artist's alley. Having dealers and artisans in the same place may not work so well... though personally this time I found the dealer's room to be rather boring (most of the manga were in French anyway lol) so the artist's area was where I spent all my money!
The registration lineup! I was shocked to see so many people...but the line moved rather quickly. We were in the express exhibitor line but I think it still took about an hour to get our badges for some reason...
A photo Jordan took of me and Jess(and her beloved Chemistry lol)! This was my outfit for Friday...I wore a similar outfit to AN last year where I was subsequently mistaken for being in cosplay as Amagi Yukiko from Persona4... but then again that was before I chopped off all my hair. xD
After we got our badges we dropped off our stuff and decided to kill some time by walking around the downtown area. This is the Basilique Notre-Dame, supposedly based off the one in Paris, France. We didn't go inside it though...the outside was really beautiful and it would have been the perfect backdrop for photos if one dressed in classical lolita attire!! I didn't bring any lolita outfits with me for this trip though since I already had too many things to pack, and I don't have any of those vacuum bags to compress petticoats... >_<"
The statue facing the basilica. The area was open and was very touristy.
Horsies..
Even the McDonald's looks fancier and classier here, with the bright yellow awnings!
As Jordan remarked, at times I too felt like I was in an alternate universe where everything is in French and somehow everything gives off a very homey, rustic feel.
Narrow cobblestone streets lined with cafes and small restaurants.
We walked near the waterfront and that was where the Montreal Science Centre was...shark week!!
There were bike paths along this area as well as a train track partially hidden in the undergrowth, it was really scenic and peaceful here. I could just imagine all the nice photoshoot opportunities here!! *__* Especially at sunset...
Ships docked at the waterfront.
We went to eat at a small diner called "Le Gros Jambon". I really liked their interior decor, and it reminded me of kitchens in the 1950's...very retro and quirky.
I really liked the atmosphere in there..
The food was delicious as well--I ordered their Gros Jambon burger...since I'm always in the mood for burgers! It had pickles, caramelized fried onions and bacon in it, served with fries and coleslaw.
Jess had breakfast for lunch--eggs benedict with bacon and hashbrowns.
Jordan had some salsa dish I can't remember the name of but it also came with hashbrowns which I was told were delicious, hmm..
After lunch we headed back to the con centre to set up. It was near China Town and the Holiday Inn had these extra bits on it which I thought was really unique!
There were also these gates that reminded me of the ones in Yokohama's China Town, bordering off the area. Toronto doesn't have gates like these..
We passed by this poster and it caught my eye immediately because it had daikons on it! It looks so funny and the people look like they're having so much fun lol...I wonder what goes on in a daikon festival...;A;
Set up all my stuff...I only got half a table, which was decent space considering my things are quite small, but I kind of wish I had more space since I ended up having more stuff that I realized. And....AGAIN there was a entrance/exit gap on my end, separating Jess' table and my side :( ...though, at least the gap this time was wider so there was less chance of people knocking things over when they brushed past...
Jess's army of chibi plushies!!!
More plushies! Pentapus from Avatar: The Last Airbender, daifuku and detailed characters from Blue Exorcist and Bleach~ I think I forgot to take a photo of her Mayuri plush from Bleach too...but he was the main star of the table and was coveted by all, lol.
I devoted a corner of my table space for new Shingeki no Kyojin stuff and also my old Reborn keychains...I took down the wall later though because it kept falling down. >_< I really wanted to make prints or at least post cards too since Otakuthon has no restrictions if you sell 2D art or 3D crafts but I didn't have the time...T__T I feel stupid for not using that to my advantage though since I don't think anyone even noticed them, except for the titans lol. I sort of made them for jokes because I had a lot of fun painting on their faces, but in the end I sort of didn't want to sell them and wanted to keep them for a photo of when I plan to make a hoard of titans...lol. But Eren!Titan was adopted along with a nekomimi Levi keychain so at least he's not alone! :'D
I made some new ice cream rings last minute too since they sold out at Atomic Lollipop.
I made more strawberry and cloud brooches, the latter of which didn't sell which surprised me a little since I made a strawberry to keep for myself because I thought they would sell but they didn't...I guess you really will never know when it comes to these things...^^"
Anyway, that's all for part one! Next post will have photos of cosplays, as well as the loot I came home with! ^_^
I'm moving to substack!
5 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment