Last Saturday was International Lolita Day (summer edition) so I met up with my fellow lolita friends to have high tea at the Shangri-La Hotel. I think we've been wanting to go there for a while but it was rather pricey. So this was the perfect chance to go and celebrate! It also happened to be Coronation Day so the theme was crowns but the only crown stuff I had was more fitting for fall so I decided to wear something light and summery instead and went with Angelic Pretty's Milky Swan. The swans are wearing crowns so I guess it counts!
After grabbing a bite at the new Basil Box (I forgot to take photos even though I had my camera with me... oops) I went on a nice walk along Harbourfront. It was a sunny, somewhat breezy day.
I was the first one to arrive since I didn't want to be late - the seating was for 90 minutes (but they didn't even rush us or anything near the end) We were seated near the fake fire place on couches and originally for 8 people, but there was only 6 of us and with our poofiness, it was just right. There was live music playing (at first the piano but then this charming young guy appeared with a guitar singing an acoustic version of "I Miss You" by Blink-182 and I was kinda mildly impressed and all these feels...)
I took photos of the food and tea menus - please refer to above photos because I don't really remember exactly what each thing was.
The reason for the steep price tag (minus the food, ambiance, brand name and service) was that the tea came with a flute of champagne (which I had no idea since I didn't check reviews beforehand) but since I'm a weakling towards alcohol and knew I couldn't finish it, instead of wasting it I decided to go with the berry mocktail instead.
Birb friends! I brought my matching Milky Swan pochette with me since I haven't worn it out much. It really fits nothing so it's just a cute accessory. Patty brought her Hedwig backpack to match her Ravenclaw inspired outfit. So cute!! Hedwig is actually functional too, you could put quite a few things inside!!
Our tea arrived on an intricate wooden platter. The little sticks with the green ball served to unclog the spouts.
We were started off with an amuse-bouche of peach puree with a circle of meringue and something else I don't remember..
Our 3-tier trays arrived (3 persons per tray) with an assortment of savoury and sweet items. Definitely the nicest looking tier I've ever had at an afternoon tea! There were chocolate allergies so the desserts for the second tray were a little different.
Bottom tier - all savoury items. Nothing really stood out for me here, it was all okay. I was hoping for a little croissant stuffed with smoked salmon but there was none (I would have totally preferred that over the cold cut mini burger, but oh well)
I loved the fact that two tiers are only desserts... and they were all so good. I'm used to having mediocre desserts at high tea places so I really enjoyed these!! My favourite from this tier was the raspberry cookie on the left, which was delightfully chewy.
It's hard to pick a favourite from this tier but I think it'd have to be the chocolate & mint one. I really love chocolate and mint combos (lolita print wise and in real life). It had a rich chocolatey brownie-like base with fluffy mint marshmallow on top and crunchy chocolate pearls in the center to give it some variety. It was delicious!! I could probably eat all three of them.
The chocolate-free desserts consisted of an avocado cheesecake, the same strawberry shortcake, and an interesting looking pineapple (?) cake! We also had a tier of scones midway through our meal which was served with some fruit spread and clotted cream, which I forgot to take a photo of. I was too full to eat them though so I saved them for later.
Lastly, a group photo in the hotel lobby! Thanks for a lovely time, ladies! Until next time!~~ :)
I'm moving to substack!
5 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment