Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 in Review + felt ornaments

It's the last day of 2018, so I thought I'd squeeze in a post summarizing my year as I hadn't done one of those in a while. I was going to make this a text-only post at first but then I realized I do have photos of my recent(ish) crafting to share..

I wanted to blog a lot more in 2018 but sadly I'm one post short compared to last year... seeing as my last post was in October, I think I failed in that regard. I think I just got lazier towards the end of the year and didn't know what to blog about anymore...

But overall, 2018 was a pretty good year for me - I was able to accomplish a few personal goals and also this year I definitely tabled at the most events compared to previous years and attended a lot of events (even though I probably should have blogged about those too, oops). Here are the highlights:

Anime North 2018 - My 10th (?) year selling at this con. I always consider myself lucky getting a table at this con since it's the largest con closest to me. It was also my first time having a table all to myself in a while! I had a lot of fun and was able to see friends I hadn't seen in a long time. There were so many talented artists and I'm really beating myself up for not buying the neat things I saw in the artist alley. This year was also special because Angelic Pretty and minori were the fashion guests. I never would have dreamed AP would attend AN some day and it was a dream come true - although I was too shy to ask minori for a photo and had to leave the tea party early - it was a good memory and I managed to at least buy something from their booth even though I missed out on the lucky packs. 

Minicomi 2018 - I'm almost considering flying to Vancouver every year to do these shows now because I had such a great first time at this event. It's pretty much like a mini artist alley and I was surprised at the turn out and at how lovely the venue was. Friends definitely made it even more fun - I don't really have other artist friends in Toronto so it gets a little lonely sometimes. I don't make as much as other artists so that's why I can't afford to fly out of province for cons but Vancouver could be an option since there's still tons of food places I didn't get to try out this time around on my trip!

Anime Matsuri 2018 - I did not blog about this event because it was new this year and very last minute. Despite being a 2-day event, I barely broke even (or not at all, since we spent it all on the food). This was a summer film festival of sorts held at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Center, but last minute they put in an artist alley, so I applied, only to be told that it was full, but I could be a vendor instead. I refused, and about a few days before the event, they told me they had space so I accepted. There was about 10-20 tables and despite quite a few people coming to watch the films, there wasn't enough signage to tell them about the artist alley so people didn't even know about it or see it. It was really quiet and in the end they refunded us $30, which was 50% of the table fee. Not sure if they will bring this back for 2019 but it has potential, just could have been organized better.

Kawaii Land 2018 - I missed last year's event so I was quick to be involved this year! I didn't blog about this event either but it was good for a one-day free event, promoting kawaii culture. There were performances throughout the day held in the same room as the artist area. The event was very positive however the room/venue wasn't very kawaii - the event room looked nothing like the photos. The venue staff were also unfriendly and forced us all to fill out unnecessary paperwork, and at one point the only women's washroom had to be completely put out of service and I was told that there was no other washroom in the building. I also read the contract wrong - it was $125+tax for a 4 x 2 ft table with 2 chairs and I assumed 6 x 2 ft. In reality it was a 8 x 2 ft table being split into two and it only had space for one chair, despite the contract saying 2 chairs per artist. It ended up being really cramped behind the table so I'm glad it was only for one day. The plus side about the venue is that there's an underground pathway that lead to the Chef's Assembly Hall which had a lot of food options. If this event does happen in 2019, it'd be great to see the venue just filled with artists like Minicomi is, since that was also a free event. I have to thank Mowgen for creating this event though because for such a big and diverse kawaii community we have here, I feel like there's not enough events promoting it.

At most I only table at Anime North so 2018 was a huge year of crafting for me. I'm still trying to build up my inventory to attend even more shows in 2019  - I've been eyeing the Etsy shows but I feel like I'm still not good enough yet - and trying to get by with selling just original work is much, much harder for me. Maybe because I don't really have a distinct "style"...

The biggest struggle I'm having now is getting everything done on time - including photography which I admit, I need to step up my game because I still rely on natural light and we've had a pretty dark and gloomy fall and winter so far. So all my things for Halloween and Christmas never made it to my Etsy shop on time - which is going to be one of my goals for 2019 - make things in advance. It's difficult with a full time job, I don't know how these people do it!

Here are the ornament fairies I made for KawaiiLand but I didn't sell a single one and didn't have a chance to take proper photos of them until much later so... I guess they will be in my Etsy store next year LOL.

Some frog babies... I'm at least happy that I got to use the ribbon I've been hoarding. Another goal for 2019 - use up old craft supplies I've hoarded!

And the one that started it all - this gingerbread kitty, inspired by another felt plush artist on Etsy. My first customer was my friend so I quickly re-made two more for KawaiiLand... but they didn't get sold so I still have them for next year I suppose, haha. These ornaments were really fun to make though so I'll probably make more, just because.

I managed to sell out of all my katamari earring and charm re-makes (which may or may not have been attributed to the katamari game for the Switch coming out recently). I plan to make more in 2019!

And now finally, my resolutions, or more of a "to-do" list for 2019:

2019 To Do List:

1. Lolita wardrobe post - I didn't talk about lolita fashion much on this blog this year, that's because I've been trying to buy less and get rid of some stuff. My last wardrobe post was in 2014 so it'll be interesting to see what's changed. I definitely tried to wear more of it this year - maybe out of desperation because I know that I'm getting older and can't pull off those sweet lolita looks anymore, and the styles and prints that AP is coming out with lately seem to be going for the older, mature look. I miss the cute, pastel coloured prints from 2012-2014... but I guess this is better for my wallet!

2. Build inventory - clay items in the winter/fall and felt/plush items in the summer due to humidity. 

3. Mass produce things instead of making things in small batches.

4. Blog more - events, food, etc.

5. Get a new job (lol)

6. Fix my teeth (personal...but suddenly my impacted canine decides to come out, after how many years... ??!)

7. Attend more events. Aside from Japan, I don't feel the urge to travel like I used to, Maybe I'm just getting old, tired and lazy. So I guess I'd rather do more artist alleys and stuff than spend money on travelling. If I can do both at the same time (like Vancouver or Montreal) then it's a bonus! I did enjoy tabling at Otakuthon and wouldn't mind going again this year!

8. Do... something... about my dolls. I was stupid and paid for a yard sale table at Doll North this year but didn't end up going because I woke up late and didn't want to go there alone. The exchange rate is so bad now that I guess I'll never get my dream dolls, which is kinda sad... because I remember how fun and lively the community was a couple of years ago and now I feel like it's dead. Or maybe I just need to try again? Anyway - I need to get rid of a lot of old doll clothes and even a doll head - and I don't have the time to make sales posts - so even if I'm alone and anxious - I have to do it this year, now or never, right?!

9. I want to improve my table displays at cons. They are terrible because I don't have any idea how or what to do... I just know how to make things! But my table displays really need some work....

10. Do at least 1 giveaway on my Facebook page. I just don't know what to give away yet! What do people want? Do they want things?? Let's find out!

That's all. Happy New Year, everyone! It will be my blog's 10th year anniversary in 2019. Thanks for following along! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment