Pages

Monday, April 13, 2026

Afternoon Tea @ Ruelo Bakehouse



During the Easter Sunday I was finally able to have afternoon tea with my lolita girlies! After my last meetup fail I was determined to make it to this one... even though I was getting the beginnings of a sore throat, somehow by Sunday I was able to keep it at bay. As for location, Kim suggested Ruelo bakehouse and I was suddenly like what?? I never knew Ruelo had a location there, literally in the middle of nowhere! I've been to their Richmond Hill location for afternoon tea before (more than 10 years ago... wow) and they were one of the first places I tried fancy cakes and macarons at and to be honest I haven't been back since I found their cakes to be on the sweeter side. I was eager to try this out despite the not so good reviews on Google, the price point was very fair compared to most afternoon tea places these days. 



This location was so much closer and easier to get to, tons of parking was available as it was in a low key industrial area. They offer workshops and you can pick up cakes and rent the spot out too for events. I was the first one to arrive and the place was empty! It stayed empty throughout our visit (a couple people came by to pick up cakes) and aside from a few check ins, they mostly left us alone so it was a very intimate tea time indeed! They even had this cute photo spot at the back, and a large spacious clean washroom.



The food was also a good amount and the quality was decent for the price. I always didn't like how some afternoon teas were so carb heavy and overpowering with sweet options. I usually like the savoury items and look forward to them just as much as the sweets. Despite being the only ones here for tea, the food didn't seem not fresh or anything and tasted fine. We were served some small scones as first, and then two tiers of savoury items. I especially liked the mushroom thing in the choux pastry (we had slightly different variations compared to what's posted on their website) and I was very surprised to see a canele as one of the desserts as they're one of my favourite things! I'd been wanting to eat them for a while and not many places make them. 



The only downside was that we weren't given any menu to choose the teas from so we just went with the options they said were available (basic teas like earl grey, green tea, jasmine, etc.). We weren't picky so we all just chose earl grey. The sugar was located on the counter as self-serve and milk wasn't provided so... I just drank my tea black, which I never do, but I couldn't be bothered trying to ask for milk.  The hostess and I think her mom both disappeared behind the back room and shut the door so that was that, lol.

Overall, at $35 per person (total came to $40.25 including tax and tip) it wasn't a bad tea experience at all. I had a great time catching up and the food was better than what's served at other local places with similar price points. That's all for this post, until next time~!

No comments:

Post a Comment