Today I attended the SO/Southern Ontario Lolita Fashion Swap Meet. I guess you could say that this was also my first meet with the local lolita community... a couple years back I attended a meet at Pacific Mall with Machiko held by the SO community that I thought was kind of random and poorly organized, but it turns out that their monthly meets are held at Cafe Princess and then they go Pmall afterwards if they decide to... so I guess it was like a half-meet. I joined their Facebook group recently just to lurk, but I decided to attend this swap meet cause I wanted to sell/trade some of the stuff in my lolita wardrobe.
I met up with Andrea at Queen station and we got tons of compliments on our outfits. I was really pleasantly surprised by the compliments I received on the subway! In Scarborough, I mostly got these confused/put off stares from old/middle aged women for some reason... but walking around downtown, it seems like people are really friendly and out going about lolita fashion! It makes me more inclined to dress up and head out into the city to attend more meets in the future. I couldn't make all the monthly meets because they're held on weekends when I work (I specifically took time off for this meet today lol) but in the future I'm gonna definitely try to get a weekend free.
The meet was organized really well and it was hosted by Sonia in the
event room of her condo building. The room had a kitchen and was really
new. I thought it was a great space for the swap, but unfortunately the
swap itself was kind of a flop. I guess it's because most people were
either attending BtSSB's opening in NYC or were at Con Bravo. I think
less than fifteen people showed up... Most came to sell/trade stuff
instead of as buyers. We spent most of the time chatting about cons and
funny things on tumblr and resisting the urge to buy things.
I decided to wear my Wolf in Frame JSK by The Snow Field,
which I got last year. I went with a black/navy coordinate and paired it
with my Infanta blouse and my new shoes from YosukeUSA.
My aunt came over for dinner so that's why I have a decent outfit shot! My parents are both terrible with taking photos haha...^^;;; Also, I'm not wearing a wig. Only recently I've been getting comments on my hair and then I realized I've switched to this Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo that my mom got from Costco. xD
In the end, I managed to trade some items for an AP blouse that
had been on my wishlist for a while. I'm hoping future swap meets will be more popular and I look forward to attending more SO Lolita events, especially the events planned for Otakuthon next month!
Until next time~
I'm moving to substack!
5 months ago


I'm middle aged and probably older than your mum, but I have to say that you look really lovely in your lolita outfit, it's so pretty and 'girlie'.....if I were young again, I'd certainly be tempted by that look now and again!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, your hair looks very nice and shiny, throw away the wig....that Argan oil shampoo is great, we use that here too.
Hugs Sharon in Spain x
Aw, thank you so much Sharon for the lovely comment! I'm glad you like my outfit, and yes that Argan Oil shampoo is quite amazing!
DeleteCheers :)