Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Woodbine Beach & Summerlicious 2014 @ Momofuku Daisho

The past weekend, I went to Woodbine Beach again with a few friends. The last time I went was also with the same group of friends a couple of years ago... the place hadn't changed one bit.
It was a nice day but not very hot out. Therefore it was even cooler by the water... there were a lot of people sun tanning/bathing but very few people were in the water.
I dipped my feet into the water a little. It was freezing!! I'm glad I didn't bring a swimsuit... I don't like getting tanned and I don't swim, so it's merely for looks. And countless selfies, I suppose lol.
We went up on the rocks to take some more photos. The view was pretty nice! Next time, I want to go to more beaches that are farther away... Woodbine Beach is somewhat close and easy to get to via public transit but it's not as nice as the other beaches I've seen photos of up north of the city. There were volleyball nets and people were playing beach volleyball!! I stared at them a bit and everything I knew about volleyball from reading/watching Haikyuu!! was running through my mind, lol. We didn't bring any kind of sports equipment or games with us so we just sat on the sand for a bit and talked/took a bunch of selfies... interesting, I know...

The day after, I went to dinner at Momofuku with my friend Jillian for Summerlicious this year. I figured since I wouldn't be doing another Summerlicious get together because it's difficult to find a time suitable for everyone, I wanted splurge a bit. My first pick was Canoe but we decided it was too overrated, so we picked the next restaurant that got a lot of hype. We ate at Momofuku Daisho which is on the third floor, and the place was located next to the Shangri La in downtown Toronto on University Ave. We got a choice of sitting outside or inside and Jillian picked outside. I honestly didn't care... but I'm glad we sat outside because the light was much better for photos and it was really pleasant out, inside it was a lot cooler with the A/C on.
They started us off with an amuse bouche, I forgot what this was called but it had potato and zucchini in it.
Next, I chose the chicken karaage bun which is this cute little steamed bun wrapped with a piece of nori, with a crunchy fried piece of chicken inside topped with pickled ginger. Very tasty!!
Jillian ordered the daikon salad with radish served in three ways. It also looked really tasty!
Jillian ordered the trout with watermelon cubes for her main.
I chose the somen noodles. It sort of felt like I was eating a salad because there were a lot of mixed greens and different kinds of seaweed(?) in it. I certainly had never eaten those kinds of seaweed before!! It was very refreshing, though I thought the soup base would have more flavour to it... The mushrooms however had a lot of flavour so I suppose it balanced everything out. The peas were kind of random though...very fusion-y indeed.
Then we had a complimentary dessert of blueberry jelly with goat cheese yogurt. It tasted exactly like those black currant flavoured fruit pastille candies I used to eat as a kid! It matched well with the yogurt.
Time for our real desserts! Jillian ordered the strawberry shortcake dish which was like a deconstructed strawberry shortcake. I couldn't stare at it too long though because the custard was piped in such a fashion that it reminded me of a juicy live maggot...(I'm sorry but it really does..)
I chose the ice cream sandwich in the end (I was debating between this or the strawberry thing) and I'm glad I did! It was delicious and it had hazelnuts and toasted marshmallows on top. It was really hard though so I had to attack it with my spoon and then I guess our server saw me doing that because she quickly rushed over with a knife for me, haha.;;;

Overall, the service and food was top notch. Probably the most expensive meal I've ever eaten (that I paid for myself, at least haha) but I guess it was worth because of the atmosphere, service and it ended up being a five-course meal. I definitely understand the hype over Momofuku and see why it's so popular now. Next time I would be more inclined to try the noodle bar or dessert bar. Maybe only for a special occasion though because the price tags don't settle so well with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment