Pages

Sunday, July 2, 2017

Canada Day

To celebrate Canada's 150th birthday I went downtown to check out the world's largest rubber duck... Originally I wasn't planning to go because I knew it was gonna be super crowded but, but I'm glad I went! Not every day you get to see the world's largest rubber duck (even if it's fake and expensive)!


But first, lunch at Wvrst. I've only been here once last year during dinner time so what a contrast it was. It's a different vibe without all the noise and people!


We ordered some game sausages (kangaroo meat, anyone?) and their dirty duck fat fries with extra swiss raclette on top. Delicious!!
Off to see the giant yellow birb...!


Can you spot the yellow blob in the background???

 
So many people, as I expected... but this photo shows you how big it was... six stories tall!


In all its big yellow glory. I don't care what people say... I found it so adorable and random, just sitting there. I couldn't resist taking some selfies with it. In a news coverage video I saw, the reporter actually went inside the duck!! But it didn't look like you could do that when I was there...

We wanted to go to Kekou next for some gelato but it started raining pretty heavily just as we left and we didn't bring umbrellas. So we headed back home and had dinner uptown at a new place in Unionville called Next Door. Brought to you by the same folks who run Smash kitchen near by. It's Canadian & Asian fusion cuisine and I enjoyed it a lot better than Inspire (also kind of near by). These fusion restaurants always give off pretentious vibes mostly from the people who go here (snotty rich Asian millennials with really good hair) but the service and food was really good. The decor is pretty nice too (looks like a YouTuber's modern minimalistic room, but fyi they took over an old pub that had been there for ages) and there's really nice natural lighting, plus they have a patio. I imagine this place will be really cozy in the winter time.

 
We ordered three appetizers and three mains to share because we still wanted dessert later. This is the bone marrow with beef tartar. I enjoyed this the most out of the duck wings and brussel sprouts (not pictured). The brussel sprouts were apparently very popular but the bitter burnt taste just didn't agree with me.


This dish was my favourite out of the three mains - the torched salmon. I really liked how it was paired with pickled cucumbers and toasted rice and seaweed bits.


Hot fried chicken. Really crispy outside, but probably the weakest dish out of the three.

 
And lastly, pork belly pancakes. Really tasty pork belly that went well with the dense pancakes. I would definitely come back here again. Their dessert menu was kind of lame (only three items that sounded pretty basic) so we headed over to Flavours of Unionville for some gelato, where I tried their pistachio gelato and it was the best I've had. I finished it before I remembered to take a photo though... so maybe next time!

I went home and didn't stay up for any Canada Day fireworks... granted, I heard fireworks in my neighbourhood up until 4 am when the birds were still chirping, sigh.

Happy Birthday Canada!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment