Pages

Friday, August 31, 2018

MiniComi Vancouver 2018

Last month on my trip to Vancouver I had the opportunity as an artist to attend MiniComi, an indoor arts market in North Van. My friend Karu introduced me to this event, as well as SummerFest located at SFU the weekend prior. I thought that two events would be too much for me to handle and the timing wasn't good, so I picked MiniComi! It was my first time selling my crafts at an event in BC so I was super nervous and excited too.

The venue was new this year (I think) called The Pipe Shop, right by the water and it was also close to some markets so food options were plenty. I had a poke bowl for lunch and it wasn't bad at all. The venue had high ceilings and a fan was blowing directly in my area so luckily I didn't feel too hot (but walking around was a different story!!). Staff also came by periodically with fans and water bottles. The washrooms were spacious and clean.


We arrived there early to set up. Truth be told, after Anime North I took about a month-long hiatus from crafting. Looking back, I'm not quite sure why. I think maybe I just didn't have any motivation to make anything, as I had been crafting since November to build up my inventory for the year. So I pretty much didn't bring anything new - all were AN leftovers except for some laminated key chains I had lying around for years (MiniComi had no restriction on crafts or 2D artwork like Anime North does). I'm kind of ashamed at my table display (or lack thereof) but oh well... (I really suck at thinking up proper table displays for some reason!!)

A pic of Karu and her display of cute soft things!! I requested a last minute table change to be seated closer to her and they were able to accommodate me.

At first it was slow, but then the crowd picked up later on. To me it felt like one large indoor artist alley. It was like a con without the actual con. I think there are many con goers (like me) who attend cons just for the artist alley and dealers room, who don't go to panels or other events like a normal con would have to offer, so this arts market really caters to those individuals. And most of all, the event is free admission!!

The event was really well organized, I was really impressed and so thankful. The staff were so kind and you could really tell they cared for the artists - as opposed to some large cons where the staff are a little cold and don't really make an effort to see how you're doing. Because after all, without artists there would be no event, right? Anyway, overall I was really shocked at how much people seemed to like my stuff! I'm so happy I got to experience such a nice event. I met some great new friends as well. Thank you so much to those who stopped by!! I would definitely attend MiniComi again in the future if I could!

No comments:

Post a Comment