Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

YetiCon 2019

This past weekend I attended YetiCon for the first time. I had heard about it for a while now, and it's located in the Blue Mountain resort in Collingwood, Ontario which is roughly about 2 hours north of where I live. I was curious about this resort/vacation disguised as an anime con so I decided to attend just as an attendee. The weather wasn't the greatest but overall I had a lot of fun! I wish I took more photos though....


The main con centre with the stage, dealer's room and events were in a separate building and there was a separate village area with lots of shops and food options. We stayed within walking distance at the townhouses which had a kitchen and everything and I wish I took photos because I was really impressed with how clean and nice it was. The kitchen was full of utensils, dishware and stocked with cleaning supplies and even hot chocolate. I guess it would be great in the winter time too! I'm guessing a lot of people come here to ski but since I'm not one for winter sports I wouldn't know, lol..


The "mountain" in the distance! I wonder what it looks like in the winter time... There's quite a bit of trees. There was a zip line and gondola ride too. Some friends hiked to the top and took the gondola ride down but I didn't have the proper shoes to follow them - maybe next year??


There was a small pond and past the village there was a mini golf course, a small roller coaster and even a pool area which was really cute and had a DJ. I kinda regret not chilling in the pool a bit, there was an area inside but I thought it was all outdoors. It started raining/misting for most of the Saturday so I actually spent the afternoon inside napping, haha... I was really bored, I should've brought my DS or something!! We only went out after the rain stopped and somehow I ended up at the nerdy burlesque show, LOL. I had never seen a burlesque show in my life so I have nothing to compare to (though at one point I followed Dita Von Teese and really wanted to see her show) but I really enjoyed it!

We grabbed some dinner at a nearby pub and called it a night. It was really convenient to have many food options close by (I ate poutine at least twice because I liked it that much) or if you don't want to eat out, there's the option of cooking as well. Overall, it was a really chill con/vacation.


We walked around the dealer's room on Sunday. The dealer's and artist alley were combined in one large, high-ceiling room (reminded me of Otakuthon's layout) and seemed really chill! There weren't a lot of artists so it was very spacious and lighting was really good (the chairs also looked comfy lol). I would consider selling here if there was more foot traffic though, the majority of artists were selling prints and keychains. I didn't buy anything but did see some pretty cool stuff.


Standard con stuff...


Lots of overpriced Japanese snacks and candy... To be honest it was pretty sad in terms of dealer's rooms but they did have The Littlest Gift Boutique. I tried very hard not to buy any more soft things because I have too many plushies already...

But the highlights of this con and what makes it special are the surroundings, events and activities which come included with the YetiCon badge. Who would have ever thought to have a con in such a place? It's definitely a great con for cosplay (perfect natural backdrops) and just to hang out with friends in general. I had a fun time and wouldn't mind going back again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment