I'd been wanting to play around with resin for a long time but never really got into it because compared to clay, it seems a lot more costly and it seems really tricky to deal with. I bought some resin from Michael's a while ago, the kind where you mix two parts of liquid and it will harden by itself with time... but I didn't like how long it took to cure and I didn't like how it yellowed over time. SO I guess there are good and bad paints to it.
I decided to finally take the plunge after being inspired by artists on Instagram, and order the Japanese LED/UV resin from Padico that cures with a UV light. I made the mistake of ordering 25 g just to try it out, but I should've went for the 100 g (which I later re-ordered) because you save money and considering the mistakes and fails I've made, 25 g is nothing!! I've wasted soo much resin... :(
Yes, I could've used sunlight to cure the resin too but since I mostly craft at night time and we don't have much daylight here in the winter to begin with, the LED/UV lamp was really useful and I didn't have to wait too long for it to cure.
As for molds, only clear molds will work (as I found out the hard way) with this type of resin since the UV light needs to shine through. I really wanted to get the ones to make your own bubble tea cups that I saw on Facebook but they were crazy expensive online. The only Etsy store I found selling them marked them up double. I found the same ones on YahooJapan and decided to get them via proxy. With the fees and shipping and exchange rate it was still a little bit cheaper.
The molds themselves are easy and fun to use but I'm still such a noob that I have trouble with air bubbles... I know you can get rid of them with a lighter but I'm afraid of using fire in my room, so... for now I'll work around it. As to what I've made... I'm more or less happy with how they turned out but we shall see! No pics yet cause I'm lazy and I've decided not to show WIP pics anymore since my backdrop isn't aesthetically pleasing...
I also don't like how I need to sand and finish some pieces because they didn't turn out right... I wish I kept the sandpaper I had from my bjd days, lol.
Speaking of bjd, I still want to collect the dolls on my wish list and want to get rid of my SD & MSD... but at the same time, it's so much harder finding buyers since I'm not active in the community anymore that I don't see any point. I kind of regret going crazy on dolls when I was younger now, haha... lesson learned... (this means I should probably stop buying lolita then since I will prob regret that too ten years from now, hah)
Also, I never learn and started making Halloween stuff late again. Guess I'll save them for next year!!! :')))

No comments:
Post a Comment