Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Dr. Seuss Experience Pop-Up @ Square One

On October 26th, I went to the Dr. Seuss Experience pop-up at Square One in Mississauga. A couple lolita friends suggested to have a meet up there since from the promo pics, the installations looked really colourful and it seemed great for photos. So we booked tickets a few weeks in advance and they sold out pretty quickly! I asked Fred if he wanted to come and he said yes. I low key didn't want to go to Square One alone, and suggested we shop there afterwards since we don't go out to Mississauga often so we'd make a day trip out of it.

Overall the exhibit was really fun and interactive and each room was done really well - they looked exactly like the promo pics. Sad part was it was full of people, kids and babies... which, I should've known would be the case but I was expecting less since we got tickets for 10:30-10:45, which was the earliest times, I think. Therefore it was very hard to take photos without having anyone in it!! Or I'm just bad at taking photos in general. But all of them turned out horrible so I didn't bother to edit or watermark them this time...


Since I was with Fred we went to check out the exhibit ourselves alone and I figured we'd meet up with my friends while we were there. I guess I was a bit distracted and excited to get into the exhibit as soon as possible to beat the crowds but it didn't matter anyway cause it was already full of people at that point.

I got really bad anxiety and didn't even want to meet up with my friends because I felt bad I invited Fred along and didn't mention it. I thought it'd be fine, but I just felt more awkward as I stood with them for pictures and Fred was off to the side and was made fun of it for it... Next time I'll just go to these events myself. Or not go at all since I feel like such a bother or nuisance sometimes. I was so close to just leaving the group cause I felt like I didn't belong there but it was Fred who gave me the push to stick with them... and I'm glad I did. I guess sometimes I just need that extra push to socialize with people and get over my fear of feeling like they don't want me there. And in return I act kind of coldly and probably that gives off the wrong idea. But maybe it's just as simple as, who the fuck cares what they think? If I'm invited, then I'll go, right? I really need to stop overthinking so much...

(I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant, oops... D: )

Anyway, the exhibit is basically split off into a bunch of different themed rooms after some of Dr. Seuss' stories. The event itself took over a community centre (?) of some sort and it was not actually inside Square One. As you can see it was full of people and at times, they were limiting the amount of people that could be allowed inside each room.


Each room was a total sensory overload though with bright colours, music and lights. Perfect for kids... but I don't have any kids and I'm a kid on the inside so I guess that works... :'D


It felt a bit awkward being dressed up in a place were there were tons of kids running around and interactive things to do like opening doors and throwing balls and stuff but it was fun, I guess??

I wanted to take a photo together with the Cat in the Hat mascot (literally the only story I know of by Dr. Seuss, I knew there was a Lorax and Horton Hears a Who movie but I didn't watch those, and there was no Green Eggs and Ham room) but the person was on break by the time we were done. Turns out the group already took a photo with the mascot before I got there, which I only found out after because nobody told me, so in the end I felt really dumb that I suggested something like that to begin with.

Afterwards we went to grab a bite in the Food District at Square One which was like a more family-friendly Chef's Assembly Hall except I don't think the food options are as good. Although they do have a Hattendo counter that sold cream buns and pudding. After that we parted ways to do some shopping at Square One before leaving.

Lately I've been finding excuses to just wear lolita out more on weekends when I'm with Fred. I love the fashion but I feel like it's such a waste that I'm not wearing it that often. Now that I'm getting older I feel even more self conscious for wearing it in public... but as I've noticed, aside from a few stares, people don't really care? I've gone out in full on sweet lolita and nothing really happened. Am I just lucky because I've heard stories of other lolitas in other parts of the world getting spit on and cursed at? Or is it all in my head?

This post is getting way off topic so I'll end it off here. I haven't blogged in a while so it feels good to just sit and write down all of my thoughts...
Until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment