Pages

Monday, January 27, 2020

Anime Shogatsu 2020

I started the new year and kicked off the 2020 con season with Anime Shogatsu, which was held on January 18th at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre. This was my second year attending and selling at this con in their Artist Alley. It's a more local con but I still saw tons of amazing cosplays and despite the weather, quite a few people showed up. Overall I had a great time and I'd like to thank everyone who came by and bought something from me and thank you to those who stopped by to chat with me about lolita fashion!! I also had great table mates and I much preferred my table location this year!

My table looked kind of bare compared to everyone else who mostly had prints... but that's because it was my own fault, I literally forgot to bring a bunch of my handmade felt fruit and vegetable brooches!! Which is why there were so little felt things this time around. I also didn't have time to sew many things since I was focusing on making resin and polymer clay key chains.

I made some new earrings this time as well, but most are leftovers from last year. I might not make that many considering earrings aren't very popular anymore it seems!

My new keychains!! It made me kinda sad cause in the same room there was also The Littlest Gift Boutique and a few other tables selling official Sanrio and San-X merchandise ... I saw this really cute bubble tea shaker keychain only for $12... why the heck did I spend so much time and money making my own???!!!!!!! :')

I kinda went ham with the charms!! I made some more kagami mochi ones! But no one paid any attention lol. I guess they'll all go in my Etsy sometime! I should really invest in a light box or something so I wouldn't have to keep waiting for a sunny day on my day off to take proper photos... I'm really picky about wanting natural daylight for photos and it's quite hard to come by in the winter time here, unfortunately....

I spent most of my time sewing which was a great idea since I got a lot of work done! I shall make a note to sew more things during cons, haha. And I guess it's no big deal that I didn't have time to make more katamari felt things because I didn't end up selling a single one! LOL... instead I sold quite a few bracelets - which I didn't even sell a single one at Anime North! It really surprised me. I guess every con is different and you can't really predict what will sell well, even now, at least for me. Or maybe it's because changing my table display every time has something to do with it?! Haha...

I told Fred to go around and take more photos for this blog post and now we end up with these random shots of people at the con?! Trust me there were a ton of events and panels, I'm sure, but he didn't want to go to any of them... There was a small dealers section here I think.


Quite a few people were still lining up to get in later in the day too, or so he reports. Like I mentioned previously, there was a snow storm happening (which coincidentally happened last year too?!) so I was quite surprised at the turnout. 

This is the room where all the artists and vendors were. There was decent traffic throughout the day. I'm not sure how many people came to the con compared to last year, to me it appeared to be the same, if not a little more this year, but the table fee increased by $30, from $65 to $95 for a full sized table and two passes. I wasn't too happy about that but I guess it's not so bad considering it's just a one day con and there was a decent turn out! There was also food from a local Filipino place so I got to eat some cheap yet decent hot food without going too far so that was nice too.

That's it for this con "report" though it was more from my own POV... thanks for reading!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment