Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2020

COVID-19 Pandemic & Crafting

I can't believe that I forgot to make a blog post in April... oops. How is it already May now? It sure doesn't feel like it, since it's still so cold here, and the usual excitement of warm weather and prepping for Anime North and summer cons are completely gone now. I figure I shall make a proper post about the pandemic and what I've been doing for the past two months... which isn't much, aside from crafting. Oh and watching Korean dramas... I definitely need to make a post about that! 

Since all cons I was planning to attend are cancelled, I expect my blog posts to be even fewer this year. I'll try to do more craft and lolita posts but it's hard when I'm not getting any mail, but whatever I guess. This whole situation is very depressing and I'm afraid that things won't be up and lively by 2021... The cases count where I live is still 300-500 new cases every day and doesn't seem to be going down, just plateauing. I really wonder if it will go down to zero new cases by end of summer... then explode again in the fall... 
Anyway... the only one good thing to come out of this for me is that I can still craft and put things up on my Etsy store. Not that I have a choice, with cons being cancelled... but I guess now that I put more things up (I never really put much in there) I'm actually making sales? It's all good and fun though until I get the hoard of messages from customers asking where their order is, not understanding the pandemic situation and the effects of the postal backlog which I have zero control over, and then having to refund them... sorry, somehow I'm just turning everything positive into a negative, aren't I? Like I said, it's hard being positive right now. Let's just move on to the stuff I made...

 
Around some time last year or earlier, I really wanted to make these candy charms after I saw them on Instagram because they're so cute. I've been hoarding all this pretty washi tape from my local oomomo and I really wanted to use them for something. I followed this tutorial and luckily I was able to get supplies before everything shut down for good. My main purpose was to put little katamari cousins inside because they'd be safer but I did make a bunch of other ones too. I have a few more that's still waiting on washi tape before I can finish them off.
  

I've also been making charm bracelets... although they're hard to sell, I love seeing so many different charms together like this, and I think it's really cute. So all this is just for my own personal enjoyment lol.
   
And they're priced as such because I kind of don't want to let them go and they took me a long time to make... but also I want them to go to someone who will appreciate the work because I will probably not make another quite like it! 

   
Yes, I too am guilty for getting into the Animal Crossing craze... despite the fact that I don't even have New Horizons. And at this rate I probably will never get it, shame on me, I know. But number one, I don't have the time investment and number two, seeing everyone's screen shots of their designs and outfits and islands on twitter, I can just live vicariously through them, you know? Cause my island won't ever be as nice as that, I tell you that! Which is fine with me, I can still just create cute fanart of it, haha... I made some hair clips after a long while so I could use up the supplies I had sitting around. One of my resolutions this year was to use up some of the random craft supplies I've hoarded over the years but I just bought some metal pin backs to make pins, oops. I blame it on a friend who asked me a while ago if I could make pins with a different kind of backing, ok... totally justified! :')

And that's pretty much it... I definitely am on a roll this year. And I wanted to start my felt stuff soon but I'm still working with clay, usually I'd get sick of it after a couple months and switch to making soft things in the summer since it's too humid... but for now I'm still enjoying working with clay (after 15 years...) and I can continue since it's still cold out and the heating is on. I mean if AN wasn't cancelled I wouldn't be making such an effort to take photos of my stuff and putting it out there online so I guess this is a good thing, right...? Or so I tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment