Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Did I make a mistake?

Welp it's already June! Wow. We're almost half way through 2020 and what a year it's been.

I was going to make the title of this post "I made a mistake" but now, maybe I didn't? This post is more or less me rambling about the bjd hobby again. Primarily, dolly regrets... regrets of the hobby. This year marks my 11th year since I got my very first ball jointed doll in 2009 December and boy, do I have a lot of regrets! Maybe I'll make a post about regrets I have in the lolita fashion hobby too...

What drove me to write this post is that I finally sold my Infinitidoll Joy event head. My floating head of 7 years, finally has an owner. I made a sales post last year after deciding that I was never going around to getting a body for it and a step towards trying to de-clutter my doll stuff since I'm no longer active in the community. But the sales post long expired, because as I've learned now, who the hell uses Den of Angels these days? The answer is nobody. But nonetheless, I was actually contacted by someone and off the head went to its new owner. Now that it's gone, I feel like the first step to my bjd purge might finally happen.

But then regret also started to sink in. That head was made almost a decade ago and the company, Infinitdoll, is long gone. I would have no chance of ever getting it back second hand because there's so few of them. And it made me sad because I really did like the sculpt to begin with - I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. I was reading another manga lately where the super cute main character had a single canine tooth sticking out just like the head and it was so, so cute. But I realize why I had fallen out of love with MY Infinitidoll Joy... it had no character. Or rather, the faceup didn't suit the character I wanted it to be. At least, not anymore. Looking back at it now, the faceup wasn't nice. I mean it was alright for the price, and it was exactly that. I should've waited and chose the artist carefully to make sure it was what I wanted, regardless of the price.

I say this because I was randomly Googling Infinitidoll Joy heads, and found this one here:



This image is from the faceup artist's website here. It looks so cute and soft, and suits the round child-like features of the sculpt... compared to MY Joy, here... ugh. I can't even look at it. What I should have done was wipe the face and send it to another artist, but then the body... with the exchange rate being so bad, why spend on a body when I could get another tiny sized doll for the same cost? And thus, why I never hybrided dolls to begin with. It just ain't for me. I admire all those who build hybrid dolls to suit their characters. I'm not particularaly attached to any character, not even my own from my own stories. I just like the sculpts because they're cute and I like how they look.

And this isn't even the only floating head I've sold. I had a Uhui head (from now called Switch but was So Nyeon Gi) and a Luts Summer 2010 event head. You'd think I'd learn from that after selling them off, but no. Well, this is my last and final time I'll be getting a head on its own! No more floating heads!! Full dolls only, so I won't have any more seller's remorse/regret over selling a rare head I'll never get back, all because I was too lazy and cheap to get a proper faceup and buy a body for! There, I said it. :(

Looking at my doll family right now, I don't even know how I ended up with a Crobidoll Jun, but here we are. And somehow I found another local Jun owner and that has kept me from selling him, knowing that he's special. Now that I got rid of my floating head... I'm tempted to sell my BlueFairy Louis and even my Bory next and focus on just two sizes. I've wanted two more tinies (yoSD size) ever since I started this hobby... and 10 years is a long time to wait to finally commit to get them!

A lot of stuff happened in between, like lolita fashion being one, but now that I'm buying less dresses and narrowing down my wardrobe to only dream items, maybe I can tentatively dip my foot back into the doll hobby? Maybe?

After I clear out some stuff, that is. Here's to me sorting through my things and hoping to get some sales. Facebook Groups are the place to be now, what else have I been missing out on all these years... ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment