At the end of our last lolita tea time meetup, my group of lolita friends brought up the idea of having tea at home as a potluck of sorts since it was so hard to find a decent place to have tea at these days at a fair price and also being somewhat close by. And honestly it's been something I've wanted to do for a while now that we have a place big enough to host such a thing, so I offered my place. I was so worried that it wouldn't go well since I had to do all the prep myself but together we pulled it off and it went better than I thought, despite me not being able to eat most of the food.
Kim brought her decor which was perfect and some delicious scones, Hanh brought some beautiful looking creme puffs and her butterfly tea set (which Evelyn was all googly eyed over in the beginning but luckily she lost interest) and Tiff brought egg bites, macarons and her beautiful tea sets. Tony, Fred and the older kiddos really helped out in looking after the little ones and Fred was so helpful in organizing and offering our tea selection (which has grown considerably since we both don't really have much chances to drink the stuff). I also moved Evelyn's IKEA table set from the kitchen to the main dining area so she could sit and have snack time with Trevor too. For a moment they sat and ate together and it was so cute! I think she definitely burned a lot of energy that day by playing with the bigger kids too. I finally got the chance to use my froggy teapot that I'd gotten a while ago but I definitely want to start collecting some tea sets of my own so people won't have to bring as much stuff. It's too bad that all the the stuff at the antique markets I see and including Fred's grandmother's old stuff probably has lead paint so they're no more than decorations...
Overall I'm so glad we pulled it off, despite me buying the bread too early and sticking it in the fridge where it got too hard since I made the sandwiches too far in advance and didn't really cover them so it dried out... I'll know better for next time. And I really hope there is a next time because I definitely want to make more themed things and be able to eat them too. This really gave me confidence to host future tea parties, although I must admit it is really hard to be prepping, hosting and also trying to enjoy yourself at the same time. Plus, the clean up afterwards. It wasn't too bad since Fred helped me and we split up the cleaning so we didn't do it all at once, but it definitely took some time, and if we went out to a high tea place, I guess that is the experience you are paying for. No dirty dishes to clean up! But I'm hoping that the more tea parties we host, the better at it we'll get... and since we are lucky enough to have the space to do so, why the heck not!
I really want to do a Halloween themed tea in the future... but who knows if that's possible with the second bb coming along. We'll see. Until next time!




No comments:
Post a Comment