Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Clay & supply haul: MiniatureSweet

Finally some time off and the sun was out!! This is the review/mini haul I've been meaning to post since last year... long long overdue ><;; Personally I love looking at haul posts and videos so I might be doing more of them, though only more focused on craft/doll stuff (though I did do a mixed Taobao haul recently... that will be interesting xD)

I ordered supplies from MiniatureSweet in September/October last year (I forget exactly when) but the shipping was super speedy from Hong Kong - I got my order in about a week with regular air mail shipping. I didn't get a lot of things, mostly some stuff I'd been eyeing for a while.

My stuff together in a nice plastic baggie.

I suppose I should've numbered the things... oops >< The long box is Grace whipped cream clay, a kind of resin clay that air dries. It came with 3 piping bags, and I used one and attached a piping tip to it (a small one). But it simply would not come out, even after I warmed it (which is what you're supposed to do). The consistency was so thick I could mold it with my own hands... o_o which I think is what I'll do from now on...

The black thing is a mini taiyaki mold :D I haven't tried it out yet but it's made out of metal and is very cute. The blue thing is an ice cream cone mold, which is so far useless because I haven't figured out how I want the top to look like yet. I also got some 1/3ish scale parfait cups and some polymer clay canes. The little baggie of canes were free gifts, but they're not of any use to me (one cane is very random, looks like a smiling corn cob... o.o;; ) Oh and lastly... the white container is some fake sugar, which I also haven't used... yet. >_<

What I wanted to "review" was the "CLEAR CLAY". It is transparent resin clay. I have never used this type of clay before so I also purchased some normal Grace resin clay off Taobao before this and tested it out to compare.

These were all made with Grace. It has a sort of translucency that is nice for making fake foods (and because it air dries, no baking required)... though not very good for making charms (as you can see my failed melon Mameshiba lol) Since Grace is this off-white colour right out of the package, you need to add some pigment to it. I added some water based acrylic paint.

I find that the texture of resin clay is very weird, like playing with bubble gum in your hands (only it's not sticky, but like... stretchy/elastic??)! It's very easy to work with, but does not hold details well. Complete drying time for me was about 3 days. Overall, it's very different from the polymer clay (Sculpey, Premo, FIMO) that I normally use and I don't really like it >_< I think I'll stick to my Sculpey lol... because of the vibrant colours, plus baking is not really a problem for me.

One thing I have to note is that resin clay doesn't attract as much dust as Sculpey, or rather once it's dry, you can just brush the dust right off.

To experiment with the "CLEAR CLAY", I made some lollipops. Sorta failed... -.- They're more like 1/2 scale than 1/3... This time I added some watercolor pigment instead of acrylics since I've read some reviews that acrylics tend to diminish the transparency effect the most.


Here you can see the transparent-ness of it... though to me it's still translucent. It's more transparent than Grace but still "translucent" .. :P

So back to the main topic, MiniatureSweet has a lot of supplies for deco sweets art and more. I was tempted to get some cabochons to deco some objects I have but I always worry too much that it will all fall/chip off later. >_<

I will get around to using the rest of the items from this haul eventually and will post more about them, plus another haul, later. Thanks for reading! :D

4 comments:

  1. OH god why do you have to post that link LOL! The clay quality looks very lovely! :3 I'd totally love to give it a try except I can't make miniature "food" to save my life lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, sorry ;; Haha, well you could give it a try, it's fun :P

      Delete
  2. TAIYAKI! YES!

    And translucent clay...you know what I'm thinking of...*cough*bubbletea*cough* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nodnod* YES I know what you're thinking! I'm working on it! ;)

      Delete