Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Soom MD Phonolus Box Opening

Someone tell me how it's March already!? I blogged so little the past two months, time to make up for it! Let me start with a long-awaited arrival... and I suppose I owe an explanation, as well. >_<;;

Back in October I was ranting about Soom's MD Phonolus and well, I caved in and got him on the longest layaway possible. OTL||| I tried to convince myself not to, because of the Lami incident and because I'm not into dolls with fantasy parts, but it didn't work. -_- So... he arrived today!! I tried to take some more interesting pics to make this less boring/repetitive:




I thought the box would be bigger! lol I guess I am used to seeing big doll boxes by now... but this time this one is actually mine! :D


I'm assuming Mega Gems and Idealian dolls only come in the black boxes? The Super Gems come in these blueish boxes (after lurking in the DoA box opening gallery :P) This is my second time ordering a doll from Soom, but since I sold my MD Lami right away because I was so disappointed, I suppose Phonolus is my first ><

I was very, very impressed this time around. I love the resin colour! I got him in "tawny" skin tone because I liked it so much better than the cream white ver. And another reason why Phonolus was hard to resist was because I was able to see in-person photos (thanks to the kind folks on DoA) due to Soom displaying him at the New York Comic Con. This is my first 'tan' doll but omg I am in love with this color *_* to me it's not really tan... not that I have anything to compare but yeah, hard to explain! Not as dark brown as "bronze" I suppose and none of that orange undertone I see in Crobidoll's tan skin. Hopefully unlike Iplehouse's "real skin", it won't turn green any time soon either because this doll is far, far from being complete!


He came with so many parts @_@ I thought I had no use for these 'tiger' paws/leg parts but... neeeevermind. These paws are HUGE though... they look like they could be life-size wolf paws. Random unknown fact about me is that I've always loved wolves. I used to be a little obsessed with drawing them and reading about them when I was in elementary school ... so these paws totally screams "wolf" to me. Phonolus = huge tawny werewolf. Also please don't ask me which "Team" I am on LOL


The 'monster' hands... just like the paws, are beautifully sculpted. No flaws... and quite sharp, actually. o_O


This is the fantasy head, which I think I might keep despite the fact that I don't really fancy the ears. The faceup is really nicely done; I couldn't tell from the promo pics that the ears were blushed too.



What I don't like about Soom is that they send the doll unassembled for safety/damage control reasons. I'm glad nothing broke in transit but it takes some manpower to put the doll itself together. However, I managed to put his hands/feet & head together all by myself, lol though he was loosely strung so it helped, BUT STILL ( ゚ Д゚)!!!


The body!!! ( ゚ Д゚) You see... I needed a MAN in my group..LOL. He's like a beautiful canvas (T▽T)


Kaede filming me struggling with trying to get Phonolus together.. (I had thought about doing another box opening video but later decided against it)


...in reality I had to hold his arm up since he fails at posing forever... -_-

So I have no actual pictures of the new guy and Kaede standing upright side by side but I can say now that Kaede's head is so much more HUGE for some reason. I don't have much to say about the Mega Gem body though, posing is so-so and he can stand well but there is a lot creaking. o_o" Phonolus is supposedly 68cm... but in fact he's not that much taller than Kaede at all!! I think I'm getting slowly sucked into larger dolls... not good. >__<;;


The hand difference is nice though..such manly hands LOL.. and here you can get a better idea of the resin colour (taken under natural light, no flash or editing)

The seams on him are horrible, as expected with darker skinned dolls... ah well. x_x


This is the "romantic"/human head, the one that I am keeping for sure. The eye sockets are very narrow, almost looks like a dreaming/sleeping sculpt. I might wipe his faceup since I want something darker but it will stay for now... he's got an intense cat eye going on. xD And very nice ears, which I'm itching to pierce!!

The eyes I got for him are this beautiful greenish-yellow color but were very hard to photograph in the fading daylight. His wig didn't turn out so well so he's bald... and no clothing yet. He is very much a WIP (work in progress) doll. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in Canada where it's too cold out to spray MSC 70% of the time (ToT) As for his name... I've settled on Deimos Fenrir Valente. Fen for short, lol. He is going to be a brooding (I want to say 'evil') kind of guy but who knows, that might change. I have a feeling this will be my last doll from Soom since my wallet took so much damage (now that I'm keeping all the parts??!) and since their MD line is discontinued and I have no interest in deities or elves. But uh, apparently I need to work harder on my resistance. (T▽T)

Thanks for reading this long winded and random post. Haave a nice weekend~ (^▽^)

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new big guy! Looking forward to seeing him with hair and clothes later. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Lol I have a feeling it'll take me a while.. ><

      Delete
  2. WHAT HAPPENED LADY?? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN. HOW DID I NOT KNOW OF THIS MAN. OMG. BAD BAD BAD ALICE. LOL
    He's like...way too much of a hunk of resin for me to comprehend right now O__O!!!
    I'll have to come over some time to inspect this new addition..o_o; Those claws/talons weird and amaze me at the same time...I can't explain it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLLL BECAUSE BECAUSE I knew you'd freak out and all during the wait I had doubts about him and thought of selling him multiple times!!! >__<" Yes I know I'm horrible..But damn Soom..he's so gorgeousss ;A; !!!! It's okay, even I'm having a hard time comprehending OTL BUT YEAH COME SEE, IT'S AMAZING ( ゚ Д゚)

      Delete
    2. He's going to get manhandled!

      BAD GIRL!!! BAD ALICE!!!

      It's ok, he's like my version of my... luxury bags, which I don't think I've told you about >__>"

      What's the longest layaway that Soom offers? o_0"

      Delete
    3. kufufufu! he won't mind it ;D ;D

      LOL HEY!! >___< I'm gonna go on doll-hiatus!! (After I get one more tiny.. *cough*) Luxury bags, huh! Sounds luxurious ;)

      5 months. You actually have to ask them to extend it because the max they offer is 4 on their site. (I learned it from the people on DoA..lol so bad orz)

      Delete
  3. HAHAHA I am surprised you got him too because there were like no warning! But I'm glad you love him this time round! >w< He really is very gorgeous (OMG that body!!) Is he a SuperGem? I sort of prefer that black box than the blue one mine came in (probably coz he was just special order and not a fullset like yours is). Congratz on the new boy! >w<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thank you!! >u< I think only the Super Gems come in the blue boxes..Phonolus is Mega Gem ^^ And I didn't get him fullset, just with faceups this time :)

      Delete
  4. Somehow I'm not surprised, lol! You did say you needed a man...and boy oh boy; WHAT A HUNK! Makes me want one too!!! (cuz you know my obssession with men *drools*)
    You must dress him and take more photos! :D
    And I'm still so excited that you ended up getting into CC~ I'm guessing you won't do the doll table too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...OTL!! I KNOW RIGHT HAHA~~ XD I definitely will take more photos :D
      I will still do the doll table, I'm sharing that with a friend too :) So hopefully I can do both without a hitch since the Doll North marketplace is open for a few hours only anyways (at least it has been like that previous years!)

      Delete