Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

PSYCHO-PASS & Wolf Children [spoilers]

I haven't been keeping up to date with the new anime seasons at all lately. @__@;; Plus, I'm totally jealous of all the cherry blossom photo spam I keep seeing everywhere... it really makes me miss Japan. Someday I hope I can go back there again when the weather is clear and not so disgustingly humid. But, in this post I want to share what I've finished watching recently. One of them being PSYCHO-PASS, a 22-episode anime series that finished airing in Japan last month. I think I blogged about it before, but now that it's done I can comment on what I thought of it as a whole :D

Image from Google
First of all, the animation is amazing. It is set in a futuristic world (and one episode even shows scenes of the Tokyo-Metro Ginza Line being stated as discontinued 30 years ago...and that was the subway line I rode on most when I was staying in Tokyo.. haa >_<) The fight scenes are very fluid and realistic. Also...the character design was done by Akira Amano, of Kateikyo Hitman Reborn! fame. I think it was worthy to watch for this fact alone because the character named Kogami is nosebleedingly handsome and cool!! *^* In fact, he looks like the offspring of Hibari and Yamamoto (from Reborn!) while Makishima, the "enemy" of the whole series whom Kogami seeks after obsessively (in order to kill him) looks like the offspring of Byakuran and Mukuro...(and indeed I saw fan art of the "family" which made me come to these conclusions...)

Anyway, aside from the cast, the story is very interesting. It is pretty messed up, and not for everyone... but for a psychology and neuro major, I friggin loved it. I admit, I got bored during the middle of the series, when they were introducing the rest of the Enforcers (maybe because there was less focus on Kogami, lol ;;) but it really picked up near the end and I'm glad I waited until all the episodes were out before watching them all, otherwise the cliffhangers would have killed me. The ending was very open-ended to me, and it really seemed to leave room for a second season, so I'm crossing my fingers for that!! Overall, an amazing series and I highly recommend it!

Image from Google
Entirely unrelated now, I also finished watching an animated movie named Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki). My friend Jordan recommended this to me saying how it would be something I'd like, and she was right. o_o This movie was... beautiful. If I had any more reason to love wolves even more, this would be it. The backgrounds are vibrant and beautiful since the movie takes place in the Japanese countryside, and reminds me of Summer Wars, another great movie I watched a while back. The story is told mostly from wolf child Yuki's POV. The animation is dynamic and the music score evokes so many emotions... I'm not sure why but at 20min into the movie, I was already tearing up and really almost cried throughout the entire movie...orz. It's not so much sad as it is touching, even something fictional like watching two half-wolf, half-human children growing up. The kids are too adorable!!! *^* And, also I know I'd be pissed as hell if I was suddenly left to take care of two young children all by myself, but Hana's perseverance and love is stunning. Even though the two children went separate paths, I was not upset at how things ended. In fact, I saw it coming, and I feel like this movie might allude to real life, demonstrating how it's not up to the parent to decide or choose a path for their offspring, but to support and love them no matter what they choose for themselves. After watching this, I found out there's a manga too... though I could only get to the second chapter before tearing up again because it was too much like the movie. ;__; Overall, beautiful, touching movie, and a must-watch.

I don't know if all psychology students tend to over-analyze things (like a friend I know) but I definitely feel sometimes that I could write a long reflection piece about the things I've watched... Wait, this sort of counts, right?! xD I doubt I will have time to start another anime series with Anime North coming up, but I'm open to any suggestions on new series to follow!! And I really can't believe AN about two months away, I haven't even started the bulk of my merch yet and I feel like I might be in trouble. But sigh... first I need to finish writing up my final research paper for a course project... (in fact I should be doing that now, eheh)

Have a great weekend! :>

No comments:

Post a Comment