It was actually very sunny later in the afternoon. Port Perry is a small town about a 45min drive from my house. Since it was a week day, not much was going on and it was rather quiet. It had a small marina and waterfront area.
Some boats docked... I wonder where it goes beyond here...
This building was used to store grain and was the only building left after the whole town was burned down in a fire a long time ago. I ate dessert at the near by popular Piano Cafe and browsed the small shops that lined the streets. It's very quaint, and similar to Unionville in Markham. I stumbled upon a store that sold a whole bunch of miniature items for dollhouses and also actual dollhouses!! It was amazing. I picked up some mini cutlery and was so happy such a store exists.
For dinner we went back uptown and tried out a place we haven't been to before called Miyabi. We're always looking for authentic sushi placed to try that are uptown and this place had pretty good reviews. It's been open for quite a long time, and most of the reviews said it was authentic yet pricey.
The interior feels like you're at home... and I quite liked the vintage style beer ads on the walls. We were the only ones in the restaurant. Granted it was a week day night around dinner time but only a single guy and another party of 3 or 4 came in after we left... I was wondering how they managed to stay in business, especially with all the new trendy tapas restaurants and all-you-can-eat places opening up near by...
Maybe it's because they do in fact charge a premium for what we thought was extremely mediocre sushi. Not only were the pieces on the small side, the uni (sea urchin) had a really strong off-flavour. It was darker in colour (it doesn't show in the photo because I adjusted the brightness and my camera by default overexposes in low lighting, which I didn't bother to adjust) but it was for sure darker in appearance than all the uni I've seen at restaurants and supermarkets. I'd never eaten uni that had such a bitter, fishy aftertaste. It was almost slimy. I don't think uni is supposed to taste like that and to think we paid almost $8 a piece kinda finally hit the nail on the coffin. I definitely won't be going back to this place!
Why is it so hard trying to find good quality sushi close to us but for a good price too? :') Kinda hurts also to think that I could also get a chirashi for $15 that has better uni than this place at Ai Sushi... sad! If only I could go on vacation for real and fly myself to Japan (like some of my friends are currently doing)!

No comments:
Post a Comment