In retrospect, I'm VERY glad I had some warning that the ending wasn't gonna be good for the fandom and pairings in general. Because I can't imagine watching the show as it aired and seeing your ship being torn apart. (But that's why there's fanart and fanfiction, right?!) I binge watched all 8 seasons and overall, I liked it. It's a solid show.
Voltron: Legendary Defender is an animated mech series that aired on Netflix from June 2016 to September 2018 - somewhat fairly recent. It's not an anime, but the style and art really impressed me - and I'm also very glad I watched some Gundam anime before this. The animation and mechs and designs were on point. The story is interesting enough (it's about war and space and alien races and such) to keep you going.
Now I'm gonna jump right along to the ships. Even before watching the show I was drawn to one of the main characters, Shiro. Like, who was this good looking guy? I kind of gave myself spoilers before I started the last season by accidentally going to Shiro's wiki and seeing that he has a husband. I clicked on the name and I was like... "who the f**k is Curtis?!" I'm sorry but it was a random - meaning some random side character likely to get no development in the last season, and I was right. I saw the image of the wedding and I thought they'd do the scene in the last episode but it was just a 3 second animation at the very end of the show. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by this (example here, and here). I understand why it was written like that - to see Shiro, who's experienced all that he has, to finally find happiness and settle down, is a good thing. But it doesn't mean I'm going to accept it.
And then there's Keith and Lance. It was fun watching their interactions in the beginning, and I had a lot of fun making these two...
...But I really don't see this ship the same way as other people do. While Lance is hilarious and adds some humour to the serious tone of the show, he's so clearly into girls and in love with Allura. I couldn't believe him and Allura were a thing until I watched it... (because I secretly hoped Allura and Lotor were gonna be a thing because despite everything, I really liked Lotor) I could literally go on about the different relationships that were in this show (and how ultimately the evil witch just wanted a happy family ending but she got a bad end, and now she wants to destroy the universe, welp) but I'll stop here... All the characters are really lovable in this series, I can't deny it. Even the big bad guy - Zarkon - his younger self was so darn adorable I can't even hate him.
Now sadly there's not a lot of good official merchandise for this series so most of the itabags and things I've seen rely on fan art... and even then there's not that much (and the artists have their shops closed or I missed the pre-order, sobs) I was going to wait until after Anime North to post this and show what Voltron things I could find and even make my own but I figure it's better to post this now while my memories are fresh.
...But I really don't see this ship the same way as other people do. While Lance is hilarious and adds some humour to the serious tone of the show, he's so clearly into girls and in love with Allura. I couldn't believe him and Allura were a thing until I watched it... (because I secretly hoped Allura and Lotor were gonna be a thing because despite everything, I really liked Lotor) I could literally go on about the different relationships that were in this show (and how ultimately the evil witch just wanted a happy family ending but she got a bad end, and now she wants to destroy the universe, welp) but I'll stop here... All the characters are really lovable in this series, I can't deny it. Even the big bad guy - Zarkon - his younger self was so darn adorable I can't even hate him.
Now sadly there's not a lot of good official merchandise for this series so most of the itabags and things I've seen rely on fan art... and even then there's not that much (and the artists have their shops closed or I missed the pre-order, sobs) I was going to wait until after Anime North to post this and show what Voltron things I could find and even make my own but I figure it's better to post this now while my memories are fresh.
Thanks for reading and until next time!!



No comments:
Post a Comment