Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Teddy Story, TCAF & Ikkousha Ramen

Squeezing in this post before I head off to Anime North for the weekend!! I've been posting previews on my Facebook, Twitter & Instagram so I'm not gonna post one here since it's just gonna be the same and plus I packed everything away already! I'm excited!!

Anyway - I went to TCAF last last weekend and decided to spend the rest of the day exploring downtown Toronto since I rarely head down there these days. We stopped for lunch at Okonomi House and got there right when it opened. Good thing we got there early cause a line started forming the moment we sat down! Though I'm not surprised it's a popular place for both locals and tourists, it's been around since 1978. Fred & I each ordered an okonomiyaki (I opted for bacon) and it was just as good as I remember it being the first time I came here (about 8 years ago!!)
Afterwards we walked to TCAF. I first started going to this free event since 2016 and every year it's super crowded but this year I just couldn't take it - it was so crowded I couldn't breathe and I couldn't even have a chance to look at all the artists (honestly it felt like an artist alley at a con, except at cons the aisles are much much wider). I quickly walked around and left in about half an hour. Maybe next time I'll consider going at a less busy time, if there is a next time...

Next we went to check out this teddy bear theme cafe called Teddy Story. They offer hot and cold drinks and desserts. I think this place would be cute for a lolita meetup and I had wanted to come here for the longest time but never had the chance. (I was actually wearing lolita when I visited here but was too shy to take any outfit pics..)

There's a seating area in the back but it's quite small, and when we went it was empty, on a Saturday afternoon. Then later, a few other people came by for desserts. They were showing Paddington Bear on the projector.

You can buy a bear and get clothes for it too! They were very cute... I wished I knew someone who was having a baby or something so I could have an excuse to get one lol... some have poseable legs too. I guess it's like a fancier version of Build-A-Bear? Overall a very cute place, and their drinks were not bad.


We headed to the Eaton Centre to check out the Uniqlo t-shirt expansion and walked around a bit more because it was still a bit too early for dinner.

There's so many ramen shops in Toronto now, I can't even keep track. But we decided to go to Hakata Ikkousha Ramen since they opened recently and they're a popular chain in Japan known for their tonkotsu ramen. 

I ordered the classic signature tonkotsu with nothing extra. Let me tell you guys... this ramen is life changing. At this rate I won't even need to go back to Japan to try all the ramen! I love how they even have all the condiments that you can add on the side as well, and I highly recommend trying all of them. Everything about this ramen is perfection and it's amazing on its own but each time you add something new, it enhances some aspect of it and makes it taste even better. I kept adding minced garlic to mine and it was just so good. 

It looks plain and an egg costs extra, but this is really all you need. It's all in the broth, and I don't know how to explain it but you can really taste the pork bones but it doesn't taste fatty or greasy at all - quiet the opposite. Each ramen shop does things their own way and everyone has their own preference when it comes to ramen but everyone in Toronto who loves ramen should give this one a try. I usually never finish the soup in ramen and I almost finished this - that's how good it was!!

Anyways this post was supposed to be about my adventures downtown but ended up being mostly about food lol. Oh well. 

Thank you for reading and until next time!~~

No comments:

Post a Comment