I decided to title this as 2020 despite being my first post of 2021 because honestly, it still feels like we're perpetually stuck in 2020, with the second lockdown and all, and since my stuff is stuck in Japan, it's not really a comprehensive wardrobe post. That, and I guess I was depressed and did quite a bit of retail therapy in 2020 and luckily I was able to get my hands on some dream items before the postal service got shut down. I'm too cheap to pay for DHL, so... that can wait for now... But yeah, there's quite a few changes since my last lolita wardrobe post
Firstly, I want to say that looking back at my first wardrobe post, so much has changed. Before I used to fit all my lolita stuff in my main "normie" closet, but now it needs its own closet. It takes up a lot of space. And I really never thought I'd get to where I am today seeing as the dresses that I fell in love with when I first started lolita are already very old now. I really have to thank the secondhand market and also the patience and time for stalking those websites religiously. And I guess I also have to thank Angelic Pretty for doing the re-releases in the first place.
And it's crazy also how trends change and how some don't. Sweet lolita will always be popular. I really regret selling some main AP pieces because I could've charged so much more for them. People scalp like crazy, it's insane. Especially for AP's acrylic jewelry. It's crazy!! It makes it so hard for me to get what I've wanted for a long time, and it's one thing I hate about being in this hobby... unless you're rich and have contacts in Japan, you'll never get what you want. But after doing this post, it made me focus more on what I have. I did think about re-buying back all the pieces I sold, but then I told myself... that I sold them for a reason, and that wasn't a good idea. I told myself to be happy with the memories I had wearing them and leave it at that.
Main Pieces
The last dress on the right was my first non-print lolita dress which I got in 2019 after seeing Misako Aoki wear it. It was an impulse buy but it is such a comfy and pretty dress, with all the ruffles and lace details. I wanted the pink one at first but it was sold out so I opted for the blue. Normally I'm not a fan of blue but this one gave me some adult Alice in Wonderland vibes. I also wore this in 50 degree weather and it surprisingly kept me cool, maybe cause the fabric is so light and breathable! Highly recommended...
Not much to say here though the Ravenclaw dress I pre-ordered before the drama with JK Rowling happened so now I feel bad about wearing it and posting it online. But I don't want to sell it, either... because it probably wouldn't sell anyway and overall it's a pretty thick dress, good for Canadian winters... Sorry I can't just suddenly be "over it", since Harry Potter was an important part of my childhood.
The second dress to left is a new addition - I never thought I'd be into green but I loved how this colorway made the other colors in the print really pop. And I love the holidays and this could be styled in a very festive way. The dress on the far right was one of my dream dresses but it's an old cotton one and the reds in the print friggin bled into the white parts so I haven't worn it since the first time. :( I'm too scared to wash it or try to take the dye out... maybe I shall attempt in the future...
I really wanted Dream Marine (first dress on the left) when it came out and everyone was obsessed with mermaids. It always stayed in the back of my mind, and although it may make me seem like a basic bitch for liking it, I couldn't deny that I loved the colors and the print. I really wanted the white JSK for a while and was finally able to get it. It also came as a nice surprise that the fabric is unlike anything I own and is glittery in person! The dress on the far right was also something I wanted ever since I saw it on one of Baby's fashion shows on Youtube from like... 2014? And someone I knew wore this to a meetup and I was just secretly admiring and jealous of them on the inside, haha. I can't believe I found it secondhand in like-new condition. I haven't worn it out yet but I absolutely can't wait to. I love everything about it...though I thought the outer printed later was separate from the cream underskirt layer but it's attached! The laces used were also very unique too and I will definitely cherish this one.
The dress on the far left is my other only non-print dress, and my only one from Metamorphose Temps de Fille which I got in 2019. I normally am not too much a fan of their releases but I loved the design and details on the bodice and I loved the dusty pink color and plus it was on sale. Dream Sky, on the far right, was another dream item that came late last year. I can't believe I own this print either since it came out in like 2011 and I missed the re-release. I rarely ever see this color and cut up on the secondhand market so I'm so happy to finally get it.
Nothing much to say about these ones, haha... nothing has changed except that I finally got Honey Cake.
The dress second to the left was an impulse buy I got from Kei Con in 2019 but it's such a nice dress for spring time, with all the flowers and bunnies on it.
Accessories
I tried really hard to build my accessory collection recently since I was really lacking them at first. It's hard because I'm picky and as I mentioned above, brand jewelry is friggin hard to get at a decent price... but I got lucky with most of these. Some are handmade and from indie brands.
Wristcuffs
I decided to showcase my wrist cuffs though cause it's something unique to lolita fashion that I love. I guess you can say it's my favourite kind of accessory? So I've accumulated a few more pairs since my last wardrobe post. They're great for hiding my bony wrists!
That's all for this post, as nothing really changed in terms of my socks/headwear/etc. I'm too lazy to get out all my shoes, bags and blouses so I'll save that for a future post maybe.
In terms of "Dream dresses", aside from one or two items, I pretty much have all my dream items already. Honey Cake was my ultimate dream dress for a while and I got that last year with the MTO. Though of course, I love a lot of different prints but I wouldn't really say they're a dream item. I'm really happy with my collection so far! It only took like what, 7 years?!
When I was a beginner lolita, it all seemed really overwhelming at first cause you just keep wanting more and more, and just keeping buying and selling... But after taking out all my dresses today and doing this wardrobe post, I realize just how much I have accumulated throughout the years and I'm reminded of what I love about each piece. I've decided to stop selling my pieces only to replace it with something else and be happy with what I've been able to get. I love collecting things and these dresses are like art pieces to me and so I hope I'm never in a position where I have to sell them. When I was approaching 30, I used to have real anxiety about how much longer I could wear this fashion and thought about purging my entire wardrobe many times... but now I'm just like, fuck it. It means too much to me, it's selfish and sounds stupid since they're just clothes, but it's true. Life is short and I'm gonna wear what I want.
Thanks for reading and until next time!~

No comments:
Post a Comment