I finally got my hands on some Varathane from the hardware store. I'm not quite sure if this is the exact one that polymer clay artists have been using (since I've heard that the product/company underwent some changes) but I've read that the water-based one is the one to get so I think this is it. This stuff is apparently used for outdoor wood surfaces so I have a feeling it's pretty heavy duty stuff... since I'm only using it as a finish for clay charms. o.O
The reason why I turned to Varathane was because I was having trouble with TripleThick (blogged before here), but lately I haven't been having those problems anymore. o_o A few of my charms felt sticky and tacky to the touch (though the glaze was perfectly fine and flawlessly glossy) I think it was heavily due to humidity and moisture levels in the air (since it was the summertime). I think the best time of year to make charms would be in the fall-winter because the air is more dry.
Varathane looks like it will protect charms against the wear that's associated with being handled often, but I am in the process of testing that out still. So far here are the points I've noted:
Pros for TripleThick:
-screw on lid
-the finish is super glossy and shiny
-great for glazing things like fruits
-usually one coat is enough
Cons for TripleThick:
-bad odor
-not ideal for covering large surfaces because of obvious brushstrokes due to its viscosity
-very thick
I tried painting my charms (unpainted) directly with Varathane and noticed that it had trouble adhering to the surface, it receded like water does on plastic. But it works great on painted clay surfaces.
Pros for Varathane:
-low odor
-watery and less thick
Cons for Varathane:
-lid can be troublesome
-does not adhere to unpainted clay surfaces
-finish is glossy but not as shiny as TripleThick
-often need more than one coating
TripleThick and Varathane both cost
the same (unless you get a Michael's coupon for the TripleThick) for the
same amounts (Varathane has one more ml). They both appear milky white but dries clear. But because I like to both paint my charms and also use coloured clay, I need to use both of these products, and to me one is not better than the other. There is still no "miracle product" that I can use for everything, but so far I'm happy with the results.
When using Varathane to coat painted charms, a good way to get rid of brush strokes is the dipping method. The container is big enough for me to dip the charms in, so I use some bended wire along with my roughly assembled drying rack (composed of a stick with wire hooks wrapped about it, held up between two paint bottles lol)
Varathane is thin enough to use the dipping method several times for more coats. But one thing you have to keep an eye out for are little air bubbles, I pop them with a toothpick/needle the moment I see one.
A sample photo of some of the Katamari cousin charms I've been making. I've been starting a lot of random projects lately but I haven't been posting much ^^; But I am happy with how those charms turned out because I've been wanting to make smaller charm versions of the Katamari keychains I made two years ago. Somehow I never seem to tire of Katamari lol... I just think the characters are so cute. :3
I'm still catching up on making the Halloween stuff (yes, in November) that I was supposed to have finished ages ago but got sidetracked >__< I get sidetracked a lot when making things, I've noticed. I keep hoarding a bunch of supplies but nothing is truly "finished"...-.- There are lots of things I want to try, like working with resin, wood and even laser cut acrylic too, but I guess I can only do so much
at one time!
Hope you enjoyed this post. Have a lovely weekend :)
I'm moving to substack!
5 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment