I haven't had a chance to blog these past weekends cause I've been too busy crafting for upcoming events/conventions (info now posted on the side of this page) but I'm slowly winding down my merch making. I don't like working up until the last minute but I know a lot who do! Anyways today I thought I'd blog about something I've always wanted to talk about: Korean dramas. I've watched a few last year and thought I'd share/give my recommendations. Because I really think everyone should watch these. xD
I suppose I shall go in reverse chronological order with the drama I last watched:
Because This Is My First Life
There's a main couple and the other two are their friends/colleagues. But mostly deals with main character, Ji Ho, who is a freelance writer who somehow finds herself having nowhere to live. I suppose this is quite relevant to those in my age range, aka "millennials", who are struggling with rising rent prices. I don't know about the situation in South Korea though. Also deals with themes like marriage (she ends up marrying her tenant but for convenience and not out of love). It's amusing cause they actually write out a contract and everything and the guy might seem crazy to most people but somehow I understand entirely (and I'd probably do the same thing lol). I felt like I could relate to this drama a lot and made me feel more optimistic because the point is we are all living this life for the first time - no one's an expert on how to do things. So it's okay that you're past you're 30s and not married with kids, don't own a house and other pressures put on from society/parents - everyone is different and has different circumstances - as shown by the other two couples in this drama. This show also touches on things like rape and sexual harassment in the workplace, though again, I don't know how prevalent that is in South Korea. But it is executed well and the responsible parties got what they deserved, though unfortunately in real life I don't think that's ever the case (I get harassed at work and it's quite hard to get revenge like that in the dramas, sadly!) Anyways overall, I'd recommend this drama. Lots of feels!
Go Back Couple
If you are new to dramas or haven't watched one in a while I'd highly recommend this series! It's very light hearted and the plot pulls you along nicely so that it doesn't drag on like most dramas. And it's only 12 episodes long, compared to the usual 16 episodes for dramas. It also deals with themes like marriage and divorces, etc. Although the theme of time travel is cliche, in this particular story, both the main characters go back at the same time. In the end, you kind of know they get back together but pretty much for the entire chunk of the drama, you go back and forth between the past and present day and learn about their relationship and little details that explain why things are the way they are. There are tons of funny moments but don't let that fool you. I won't give any spoilers but man are the feels strong in this one!!
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-Joo
I also recommend this series to anyone new with dramas. I really enjoyed this series and felt that it was rather unique in that it takes place at a sports university, and the main character isn't one of those typical thin fashionable pretty girls - she's a weightlifter! Although after watching this drama, sweats seem pretty fashionable too, lol. I also really loved Lee Sung Kyung (she plays Kim Bok Joo, the main character) in It's Okay, It's Love (below) so I guess I am a bit biased. But what I love most about this drama is that it's so innocent and cute and also realistic. For once the main character actually admits that she likes the guy instead of being tsundere and in denial like most female leads are. Bok Joo is really endearing, as are her weightlifting friends.
Descendants of the Sun
I know this is kind of an old drama, and it was suuper popular when it came out so I'll be surprised if people haven't watched it yet! (My mom watched it before me) I'd put Descendants of the Sun as one of the "classic" kdramas everyone should watch, just because certain scenes and songs are so iconic, so much that there's a parody of one of the scenes in Go Back Couple (which is why I had to mention it here, haha). This drama deals with themes of war and also medical themes (soldier and army doctor find love on the battlefield, etc). It might be boring to some but I rather enjoyed it as some cliffhanger scenes really put me on the edge of my seat.
Lastly, I'm going to recommend one of my favourite dramas of all time, and it's a rather old one:
It's Okay, It's Love
No flashy cinematography or gimmicks here, but it deals with the struggle of having a mental illness and trying to overcome it. For someone who's familiar with these themes (I guess being a psych/neuro major helps) I felt that they did a really good job with this drama. Lots of feels (can you tell that I like dramas that really pulls at your heart strings and wreck you a little on the inside?) and really interesting story. It also made me really want to go to Okinawa though, that's for sure! Because of this iconic scene at Cape Mazanmo:
There were a few more dramas I watched in between, namely Blood, The K2, and My Love From Another Star but I didn't enjoy them as much as the ones mentioned above. There are also dramas that I started but never finished (Scarlet Heart: Ryeo) and ones that are on my to-watch list (Goblin) but right now I'm in the middle of Gundam hell (watching all the Gundams, thanks to a certain someone) so I don't think I'll make another post about kdramas a for a while!!
So.. until next time!! ;)
I'm moving to substack!
5 months ago







No comments:
Post a Comment