Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

....what is this.....

Huh, I feel kinda bummed. :|

Guess I'll explain.

Last year I was editor-in-chief for the Yearbook Committee of my high school (Albert Campbell C.I.) so I had the honor of creating the cover design for the 2007-2008 school year. I posted this exact image on DeviantArt.com in June of last year.



Now almost a year later, a person (I choose not to name names) comments back on the piece:

Well, the last time I sent you a comment was to ask about layering. I want to apologize for going on and using your cover design as an idea for my school's cover design without permission. I'm sorry... but here was the design I made for our yearbook if you're curious.

I tried to stray away from your design, unfortunately the layout was kept, the silhouettes were too good to give up, and my school wanted to use the yellow circle to put our emboss stamp. Also, apparently both of our designs had a treble clef... I didn't notice that until I looked at it.

I'm really, really, sorry.


Here was their design, which will also be used for a yearbook cover.


It was posted on DeviantArt.com as well, and they gave me credit in the comments section of the submission... but I don't know, is it wrong for me to feel ripped off, even a little bit?

I don't care that it was not copied down to the last details, because that was not their sole intention anyway. It's just the concept, the idea, the similarity... that kind of bugs me.

However, if you were to argue with me, I would be at a loss because the only thing you would have to believe that that was my own original design, was my own words. Usually when people are stuck with a design, they look for inspiration. I don't do that. Heck, I'm even too lazy to look for references when I'm drawing. I just feel bad, I feel like I'm cheating... lol, I guess it's cause it's so hard to ignore my conscience...?

They apparently an won award for the design too, from the JEA (Journalism Education Association) and NSPA (National Student Press Association) in the United States. What gets to me the most, though, is that they did all that... and in the end, apologized.

LOL? Whut?? Kinda too late much? It's all been done. I doubt saying sorry would change anything.

It like, "Oh hai, I kinda used your design as an idea.... BUT OMG PLZ DUNT GET MAD IM SRY"

............LOL? It would've been different if they asked permission........ Or would it?

But whatever. There's nothing I can do (except rant here, of course. Trust me, it helps).
I just wanted to document this somehow.

I never thought this would happen, though... I guess I'm never posting anydesigns online again...? Not that I have any. Oh, and last of all... if you're thinking: "omg ur such a bitch, u should be thankful someone used ur design!!"

Uhh. No? I don't feel the least bit happy when I looked at that image. More like, I felt as if the ground beneath me gave away. :|

That's all I have to say.

7 comments:

  1. yo next time i come over, i'll bring my machine gun. you can point him/her out to me.

    gahhh this makes me SO ANGRY D< WHAT A JERKTARD

    srsly oh gosh makes my blood boil, the worse part is that you can't do anything about it. Unless it's possible to report art theft to the commitees that gave the award >:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAOOO CALM DOWN OMG MACHINE GUN O___O

    Well. Sadly, this isn't technically 'art theft'... or is it? :/ Bah. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lool seriously so angry and pissed at how rude they were or her frds were .....insulting Canadians? lol what for..? im not a Canadian ...really..LOL and my comment wasn't..THAT rudeee! we are all artists here its only natural we would feel very angry bout issues like this...instead they're calling us douchbags and shit? lol wtf? then hides it all? and claims for harrasment? loool...kids these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm... kind of glad I didn't read those comments. :/
    More waste of time.
    Mary, you're such a drama magnet... T 3 T

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOLD U SOOO LOL so don't ever play RO with me...or u will hate the game ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg... I haven't even downloaded it yet.... I feel kinda bad since I had promised a friend I would... >_<.. but RO? How could that possibly have drama... Deviantart I understand, but..?

    ReplyDelete
  7. RO can have drama, believe me. Or believe Mary because drama was attracted to her like bee's to honey >__>'' STILL IT WAS SO MUCH FUN, I LOVE RO *mega thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete