Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: Decollage & Whipple fake whipped cream

First post for October~!! It's fall already! I finally have some time to get back into crafting again.
I've been testing out the new supplies I got from my trip to Japan and two of them were fake whipped creams used for deco-ing. I decided to do a small review on them both ^^


The one on the left is Decollage silicone whipped cream in white. It is produced by Padico (maker of Hearty and Modena) and it cost 1,250yen which is about $15USD for a 50g tube. Expensive @__@ but I can see why! The one on the right is called Whipple, produced by Epoch. I think this is for kids because I found this in the toy section of a department store with a whole bunch of kiddy deco kits. It cost 510yen, which is about $6USD. I don't know how much is in the package... but it certainly is a lot more than the Decollage stuff!

You can see I'm almost finished the Decollage...T__T It comes in a tube with a screw on lid and an interchangeable icing tip. I didn't know it came with an icing tip so I bought a set of three and it turns out the middle size is the one they provide you with so I have a double of that. I ended up using the largest icing tip from the set of three the most. Whipple does not come with any icing tips and I forgot to buy them... none that I have seemed to be the proper fit for it, so I just used the Decollage ones and put the whole tube into an icing bag with the icing tip prepared.

Test time! Decollage (left) I put some fake choco sauce on it.
Pros: The most striking feature is that when dried, it retains its bounciness! It has an odor but it's not too horrible... It's also very sturdy, durable and slightly shiny when dried. There is no mess and the icing tips are very easy to clean if you just wait for the silicone to dry, then you can easily peel off any residue. Overall, I really like it and I wish I bought more, if only it weren't so pricey!
Cons: One thing I don't like is that it's very sticky and can be hard to control (thus my failed ice cream above), I always have a tricky time ending off peaks because it's very elastic and likes to stretch. Silicone is also quite heavy. Also, there is always going to be product stuck inside the icing tip when you take it out and replace the cap for storage, but it's disappointing how much is wasted considering how much this stuff costs. :(

Whipple (right)
Pros: It holds peaks very well and nicely as you can see in the photo. No mess. The consistency is very smooth and it's very easy to pipe. It also comes with a screw on cap and I assume some icing tips are sold separately. It is more of a stark opaque white than Decollage. You can't really tell from the photo but the silicone has this darker undertone. Whipple is light weight and acts almost like real whipped cream!! It dries to a true matte finish. And, for the amount you get the price is not bad.
Cons: It has a grainy texture when dried, like modelling paste and it's not as smooth as silicone. Also not as durable.

Whipple actually reminds me a lot of Fuwa Fuwa which I blogged about before. But Fuwa Fuwa is a lot lighter and has trouble sticking to surfaces. It also has the problem of being too stretchy, making it hard to form neat looking peaks.

Here I tried to squeeze a bit onto a dry surface to demonstrate, but it wouldn't stick so I just pulled off the piece ><

I have been using mostly Fuwa Fuwa to make fake sundaes and dessert props for bjds... and you can see I sorta failed at making perfect peaks as they just sort of flopped over ><. I sold these at Doll North but still have some left over... I considered selling online on my other Etsy but I have yet to come up with a good way to ship them securely instead of just chucking them in a huge box...D;

Anyways, more crafting adventures continues! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... ice cream!

    I see the Decollage brand stuff the most often when I'm out and about in Tokyo. I guess that's the reason :D

    ReplyDelete