So as with most deco sweets art supplies, this Fuwa Fuwa stuff air dries. This differs from the Sculpey/FIMO I usually use. Air drying is convenient but it does take more time. Depending on the humidity/temperature of the room, it might take bigger pieces about 3 days or more to dry completely.
I normally use air dry clay for bigger projects (1-2inches in diameter) cause it's very light weight. To make the cake base (the actual CAKE part), I used Paperclay (the name is misleading, because it's supposedly not really "clay")
To get the cake texture, stab your piece of clay repeatedly with a stiff-bristled brush.
Now for the fake whipped cream/icing part. I was kinda disappointed, because I thought this was a good alternative for silicone. I didn't want to work with something foul smelling and toxic, so I opted for this. It comes with two attachable icing tips. (For the amount you get, I guess it's relatively inexpensive. I purchased it from this Etsy seller and it got to me roughly in about 2 weeks)
Turns out, I think this Fuwa Fuwa stuff is very much like Paperclay. It even smells the same! Maybe if you added water to Paperclay, you could pipe it easier... since on the package of Paperclay, it says to add water if it turns too dry while kneading it. And it's all the water that evaporates, leaving you with something very light weight in the end... but anyways
I tried using modeling paste as an alternative, too. It can be found easily enough in an art store.
Pros: Holds peaks well, dries really hard, makes your piece heavier, more durable than Paperclay/Fuwa Fuwa, water-resistant and non-yellowing when dried
Cons: It says "opaque" but really... to me it's a bit translucent, so I had to apply two coats.
I used this for the majority of the cake because it's easier to spread around. You can also pipe this too but I find that it gets really messy and I don't want to waste any of it. >< It's also quite grainy to the touch when dry.
I covered the whole cake with modeling paste after it dried. You can spread the Fuwa Fuwa cream, but it's just more tricky... it does dry completely opaque though.
What I really like about the Fuwa Fuwa whipped cream is that it comes in a resealable tube with a screw on cap. The icing tips that came with it are too big for my project, so I attached my own. The metal tip + adapter fit on perfectly!! These are real icing tips lol... I used the Wilton tips in #14 Star and #1 Round, got them from Michael's.
Pros: Comes in a resealable tube + two icing tips, no mess.
Cons: It has trouble sticking to stuff, not very durable when dried. It takes about 24 hours to dry (depending on how big the amount is) and turns into a consistency like... a stiff marshmallow? XD
After all the piping, it's time for decorations!! I prefer to make the cake decorations out of Sculpey/FIMO because the colours are brighter. Bake the bits, then stick them on :} Finally, I painted on a layer of gloss varnish on the fruits... just like they do in real life to keep the fruits from drying out. xD
Ta~da! I forgot to mention, this cake is of those seen in Chinese bakeries, like in Hong Kong. There's no crazy colours to the icing like with American/Western birthday cakes. XD And yes, it's my mom's birthday today so that's why I made it! :D
Asymmetricalness aside, I think it turned out ok. It's about 5.5cm in diameter, a bit bigger than what I normally work with. (Piping those details was a pain... my hand hurt from squeezing the bag so hard to force the icing through such a tiny tip... =o=;;)
Haha, this was my mom's actual birthday cake, though. :) Happy birthday mommy ~ ;o;
In conclusion~
Fuwa Fuwa, when dried, is definitely not shiny nor does it have the same resilience as silicone. Modeling paste also fails in that category, even more so because the surface is not smooth, but rough to the touch.
And in terms of Translucent Liquid Sculpey (the stuff I use for all my cake charms made out of Sculpey/FIMO), I have tried piping it but it's almost TOO sticky/messy to work with and I haven't quite mastered it yet. Maybe I'll try making a mini birthday cake with TLS in the future, for Myles or something lol.
Some other Japanese clay brands I'd like to try are Hearty, Grace resin clay and Decotti. I'll get to those... some day. XD I'm still a n00b to all this deco business so if this helps people out even a little bit, I'll be glad! Thanks for reading! :D

Thanks for the review! I've always seen those deco piping clay substitutes and I was always wanted to buy and try them. It seems like they would be good for something that was more decorative like in a doll house but maybe nothing practical like keycharm.
ReplyDeleteI never thought of using modeling paste for some reason! Good idea! Pretty sure I have some lying around somewhere.
Is that a Ruelo gold cake tray thingy I see?
ReplyDelete@Birds: No problem ^^ Haha well it really depends, I think the silicone stuff like Decotti is made for keychain stuffs since there is a whole kit with it that shows you how to make the keychains. XD The modeling paste idea I got from another blogger when I was searching for alternatives a while back. :)
ReplyDelete@Kim: Yes, it is xP
Thank you, this was so helpful! And the cake you made for your mom looks delicious D:
ReplyDeleteThat's so interesting that you'd use modelling paste... I use that stuff to add texture to my paintings! lol
ReplyDeleteThose cakes look delicious; both your mini one and the real one. :D