Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

GUU'D

Hung out with Machiko/Tiff for nearly the whole day today (er.. yesterday)! She brought me all around downtown, and even though we had to take the streetcars twice, my feet are so tired. So not used to going out all day.. T_T

Right when we got off the subway, there was (conveniently) a Fabricland that was having a closing sale, so I went and grabbed some more felt. I'm VERY disappointed that they have changed the supplier for felt (at Michael's too) and so the tints and shades of the colours are all off... and different from how they were three years ago. I really don't care about the fact that it's made out of 100% recycled bottles, I just want the colour to match!!! T_T ugh I'm still bothered by this since I only needed a tiny bit to finish off a detail but instead of ranting about felt, I should start talking about what we did today...


First was Yorkville. We went to Moroco cause I wanted some macarons. >< Their pralines looked very pretty though (and tiny)


I originally wanted to get four but I got six because they would come in a nice box. :) They got kinda smushed/roughed up from the journey back... but they're definitely smaller than the ones at Louis XIV. Tiff said they taste like cardboard but since I have yet to experience the macarons in Europe and England, I don't have much to say on that matter...orz|| I ate one so far and I consumed it too fast to tell..lol. But they cost $0.25 more than the ones at Ruelo... the ones at Ruelo also seem to have fatter biscuits I think. The flavours I got were Salted Caramel, Lavender, Raspberry, Pistachio (I loove that green colour!), Coffee and Praline Cream.

Next was okonomiyaki at Okonomi House for lunch! I've never had okonomiyaki but I've wanted to try after seeing this one scene (that I remember so vividly for some reason..) in the jdrama Hana Kimi. I thought you'd get to make the pancake yourself and play around with those two scraper thingies but well... I watched them make it instead, and that was interesting :D


I ordered a shrimp okonomiyaki :D The sauce/toppings remind me much of takoyaki. Everything went together nicely and I really enjoyed it! I was worried it'd be too salty but it was perfect, and the size was good too.

We cruised around Queen St., checked out the fabric stores. I couldn't believe there were so many. o_o Went to Arton Beads... and resisted buying some cute apple charms... After a bit we started to head off early for Guu.

We went to Guu Sakabar instead of the nearby Guu Izakaya just cause we were closer. I'd never been to either location but I kept hearing good things about Guu in general so I was really excited to eat here~ ^^

Once we came in, we got a loud greeting of welcome from the staff. And I couldn't tell if it was just for show or not because they were being SO enthusiastic! xD

We chose to sit on the upper level semi-traditional seating area; shoes had to be removed.

I had never seen this type of seating arrangement/design before but I loved it immediately! I thought you had to kneel the entire time but the floor is actually hollowed out so you can stick your feet down and sit like you normally would on a chair (only with no back support xD)


I also liked this because the servers had to kneel down beside you to get your orders and this made them so much... friendlier or something, I guess, because they weren't talking down at you or anything... literally. XD


I just got water... but Tiff ordered some green tea drink with sake in it.


Tiff's takoyaki gratin. Takoyaki with cheese!!!


I'd been eating a lot of meat the past few days so I wanted something fresh, and I wanted rice and seafood. I ordered a temari zushi (seared salmon sushi rice balls) and a sashimi salad (fresh sashimi of the day with mixed greens). They were both so tasty! The sushi balls didn't come with any wasabi, turns out it was in the roll itself, which was much better... a perfect package and combo of flavours.

The sashimi salad was really good, I loved the sauce but I didn't know what was in it. Actually I didn't know what I was eating half the time ... it had tuna, salmon... and some other fish but it was all good so I didn't care lol.

Also it was dark. They dimmed the lights half way through our meal and then brightened them again. And it was loud... lots of yelling of orders and greetings, plus music (which you already couldn't hear so well due to the yelling, but they upped the volume half way through our meal). Good place for a first date... or maybe with someone you don't wish to carry a lengthly conversation with? But the food is so good, you don't really need to be talking much at all, I guess. Just eaat. :D


Dessert! Tiff ordered a sesame... something. Basically a sesame overload, since it came with sesame ice cream (which was so good and dense), sesame-filled mochi(?) and sesame wafers!

One very disappointing thing though... was that apparently pudding = crème brûlée. I wanted to get the traditional "pudding" pudding, the almost jelly-like consistency dessert that had caramel sauce or chocolate sauce on top, like I've seen (and made clay versions of ><). Then I saw the dish... and it had a caramelized top. That was hard. Like crème brûlée. I thought *Erm... why does this look like a crème brûlée???* Because it was! >_< It was still good though... but I really wanted pudding.

All in all, a very eventful day, food-wise! Thanks for bringing me around, Tiff~(づ  ̄ ³ ̄)づ And mega thanks for holding onto my doll stuffs for me...which I will get to tomorrow~ kyuuhuhu >u<

9 comments:

  1. Which subway station was this Fabricland at? I want to see if they have any silky material.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Bloor. Though I don't know how long the sale will last.. but they have just about everything... and all of it is 50% off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to last until July 30th I believe, they extended the closing date since they still have so much inventory to clear.
    (since you don't read the signs, Ms. Tunnel Vision. LOL)

    NEXT TIME...I shall bring you to Nadege. It's further along Queen st. W. Their macarons are better than Morocco's. According to my sister. LOL I just like their marshmallow things...
    And maybe we'll go to the other Guu to see my Prince...*o* LOL

    TAKOYAKI GRATINNNNN ON NOM NOM :D

    (づ  ̄ ³ ̄)づ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww.. the Prince *__*

    And Guu would be a HORRIBLE place for a first date - you wouldn't be able to talk about anything! LOL Unless that's what you're looking for! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (@Kim... YEAHH...LOL what she said^ ... OTL)

    YES YES...I would like to know what these marshmallow things are XD
    Definitely! I wanna see this Prince! :D And I wanna try takoyaki with cheese next time! AND I WON'T ORDER 'PUDDING' NEXT TIME! XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having fun without me! If only I didn't have school ;A;..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had fun~~ :D

    haha, yeah, the felt is all eco now (and has been for quite some time). I find the most noticeable colour diff is the sky blue. It's such a dull shade now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. The japanese purin is so iconic you figure it'd be everywhere but it's not! I'm always on the search for the ultimate purin! I figure the closest I'll ever get is making it myself ;____; I've made instant pudding from a box but it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete