Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

FanExpo 2011

Here is my con report for FanExpo this year! (I went on Saturday & Sunday only) I tried to keep the number of images down, but I ended up not taking many photos to begin with.. either I was too lazy to whip out my camera or I was too shy to ask people to stop for photos >>

I haven't been to FanEx since 2009. I missed out last year since they increased the ticket prices (and good thing I didn't go cause apparently there was some traffic/fire hazard drama on one of the days) but I decided to go this year to visit my friend Jess who was selling in the Artist Alley. I basically mooched around with her & her two table mates (who were also awesome) so thank you for letting me hang with you guys!


I guess I was still half-asleep on the subway ride there cause I ended up taking the train in the wrong direction, but immediately got off once I realized it. Good thing I guess, since Rosedale station is outside and quite nice, compared to the other subway stations.


Arrived at my friend's table of plushies. Her Howl & Spirited Away duo... soo cute :D


I started walking around the Artist Alley since there wasn't much traffic. I spotted a DoD Lahoo sitting on a girl's table. He looked ... bored LOL.

I met up with my friend Jordan and we walked around some more... the AA was huuge.


(I'm not sure who the girl on the left is supposed to be) but there is Rapunzel and Belle :)

This con is a mix of sci-fi, gaming, anime, horror and comics so there's a bit of everything. There was a lot of gaming booths/stations. I'd say there was the least anime and horror stuff so overall I found it to be a bit more boring since I'm not really into comics and I don't play video games...


Zoidberg lol


Kick-Ass!!!


I like browsing through the horror sections for laughs. I find morbid things to be cute sometimes. xD;; We came across this booth of modded stuffed animals being sold (which Jordan really did not like, to my amusement LOL) But I found these to be rather stupid, no offense... You can buy your own Kon plushie and mutilate it on your own if you're so desperate... yet these were being sold in the dealer's room... and people were buying them. I don't get it. >>;

So... apparently Tom Felton was there. And I didn't even know about it, cause usually I don't know any of the guests/actors they bring in! But I know Tom Felton, cause I'm a somewhat big HP fan...

But not a big enough fan to pay extra bucks to talk to him and get him to sign stuff. ^^""" So I just tried to get a glimpse from afar instead.


A bit blurry... but at least I got to see him. A little. XD


This No-Face cosplay was really creepily realistic >_< the hands!!!! I also saw a girl who had a huge No-Face tattoo on her calf o_o


There was a lot of DRRR stuff in the dealer's, but so expensive... :/


Huge Meowth. From far away I thought it was part of a display/stand for a booth but it was apparently being held up by a single guy o.o


Interesting...


This Gir was creepy >_< it talked!


An Italy cosplayer that came by and commissioned Jess for an Italy plushie :D

I left somewhat early on Saturday and came later on Sunday cause I couldn't wake up. @@ I don't know why it was so tiring, even though I wasn't selling anything this time! Cons really tire you out really fast for some reason!

I saw a pair of Gintama plushies I was tempted to buy but didn't end up getting them. I kinda regret it now though T__T Sigh. I didn't buy much in general because I just didn't feel like spending... but here are the things that I did get:


These Tiger & Bunny acrylic charms from Kaze-Hime. It's a horrible photo but, I can NOT STOP OBSESSING over how cute they are omg >__< ♥ they're the cutest little pair of charms I've ever seen! I wish I had a DS or something where I could hang them from together. I don't keep anything on my phone since I'm afraid it might fall off. But yes... I had to get both of them!!

There was quite a lot of Tiger&Bunny and Ao no Exorcist fanarts! Also of Panty&Stocking but I couldn't find any bookmarks or little things of Stocking that I really liked. :(

I also didn't want to get any more doujinshi since I'm running out of room to put them but I caved in and got this general Hetalia one. It's soo cute!

The cover is insane!!


I could stare at this forever lol.

FanExpo was mostly boring for me I guess because there were less events that catered to my interests. It was fun being with friends though, and people were really nice. I have thought about selling in the Artist Alley for next year but after sitting in the AA for a bit myself and hearing about the experience from Jess, I don't think my crafts would cater to the right audience in that kind of con where there's a mixture of so many genres.

I really wish Anime North would be four days long instead, I find that it passes by way too fast cause I'm already looking forward to next year. Sometimes I wish there would be more conventions or lolita gatherings or bjd meetups in general close by where us fan/geeks with weird hobbies can just get together... Or maybe this means I should just get into a more useful hobby instead, like cooking or something LOL. ><;; AH well.

This wasn't a very good report but thanks for reading anyways!!

4 comments:

  1. You were pretty good this year with not spending that much! :D
    I wonder if AN would work as a 4-day con... I thought 4-days was really too tiring and you actually get really sick of it and just want to go home. I think it would be much more fun if they had an AN "lite"...like they have for Otafest and Ai-kon. Basically, they have a smaller version of the con in the fall or winter. :)
    We really gotta pull through with our cosplay thing! I'm serious! But gotta make sure Machiko can pull off the spandex before her body betrays her~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knowww eh I'm so proud of myself for that LOLL
    It's tiring but unlike FanEx, I feel like AN goes by way too fast! Maybe it's cause there's so much to do and so much to see, and most of the things I'm interested in! I know FanEx has those mini 'AnimeCons' in December and April (I went to a December one a few years ago with Mary) but usually I think they're just for local people to gather n chill cause admission is like $8-$15 and there is only like ONE large room for dealers (just really small and crappy...but we went cause Mary wanted to see if they had Copics for sale lol)
    I definitely wanna cosplay for sure at AN...because A) It'll be the norm, unlike FanEx, and B) Hopefully most of you guys/my other friends will cosplay too.. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, you could always hang them in your pencil case or something? ^-^
    I too love charms and keychains, but I don't want them to get scratched so... they mostly hang around at home. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same! I put them on my stapler now.. XD They are safe :D

    ReplyDelete