This was sort of a impluse buy, I have to admit >_< I know I wanted another tiny-sized doll and I happened to love Lami's surprised face... I planned to name him Remy and I could picture all the photostories I could do... but sadly, you'll see below why this was really disappointing for me and not worth the 4 month wait. I guess I learned my lesson... -_-
On to the photos:
I had to open the box in my parents' room, so please excuse the terrible lighting. Helping out today is Kaede & Myles.
More random blurry spam of Myles :>
First time seeing a Soom box, and will most likely be my last.
I am not a fan of fantasy styled dolls, but they do look gorgeous [when styled well]. The reason why I liked Lami was because he generally looked human, minus the pointy ears and horns. Plus he reminds me of Rin from Ao no Exorcist (indeed I was planning on a cosplay, of sorts..)
More clothes..aiee >_<
All the contents of the box~ (Hmm the zippered pouches are really convenient... I have really gotta get me one of those)
And here he is! Lami is actually on gender-neutral bodies [like Myles] but I really don't see this sculpt as a girl, so I planned it to be a boy. This is my first time also ordering a doll blank. I figured I could do the faceup myself since Soom's faceups seem kinda simple to me.
The main reason why I had doubts during the waiting was because in the owner's pics of those Lamis that arrived ... they looked really... peachy. The resin colour was supposed to be 'baby pink', but it just looks dark, fleshy pink in person and not light baby pink like in the promo pics. I was also worried that the resin would be translucent looking but it seems to be just the lighting.
This is the surprised head. Or the demon head, since it has fangs and pointy ears, which the human head doesn't have. If you look closely there is a little gunk of resin stuck near his tongue... unless it's supposed to be a tooth..? o_o
The gap between the headcap and head is pretty bad >_>
Chunks of resin near the neck hole... it seems like for some reason the S-hook isn't large enough or something because it almost went inside the neck >_< I think the neck hole should have been larger as well..
I open up the surprised head and...GWAH what the heck is this??! There's white stuff smeared all around the eye sockets, or is that all resin dust?! @@ I heard from others in the waiting rooms that the eye well/sockets of the heads are really thin... one person actually sent their head back to Soom because of this, but they said it was normal. Is this their way of reinforcing the eye sockets... or something? >_<
Cause they don't look thin, there is not much light going through... The two dents above the eyes are for the magnets for the horns... you have to glue in the magnets yourself. = =
They do glue in one magnet for you, the one in the butt for the tail. Or maybe they cast it into the resin because I can see a faint dark spot where the magnet is ...
Tiny gunks of resin between the fingers. T_T
Trident, 2 pairs of horns, tail and the magnets.
User manual, element card and back of the certificate.
The back of the elemental card. It looks interesting.
The good points about this guy is that Soom strung him up really well, he stands nicely and isn't kicky at all. Myles is scared.
The elbow joints of the teenie gems are also really interesting... and makes for really good posing.
I didn't get the sanding option but the seams weren't too bad. I've thought about selling just the human head since I don't really care for two heads, but now... I dunno. I thought [very briefly, lol] about giving Remy a chance and giving him a faceup and trying to make him work but seeing how he has so many tiny problems (why am I so nitpicky..?@@)... I don't want to deal with this. He feels like a kit doll and the resin colour... really bothers me. -_-
I don't get Soom's system. They churn out new dolls at amazing speed yet waiting for them is a different story. They may have superb customer service but instead I'd just prefer things to be done right the first time. I guess I got fooled by their brilliantly photoshopped pictures and more than reasonable payment plan... but I'm pretty keen on not letting this happen again.
Guess it's once of those things I gotta experience once. Soomed? Nope, didn't happen. >_< Sorry that this turned into a rant. I don't hate Soom... I think they produce gorgeous dolls, but I would prefer not to own any of them for the time being. u_u

Awwww, he finally arrived. I'm sorry that he's still a disappointment to you though.. :( All the negatives do add up. All the random excess resin stuff and WHAT was that in the eye sockets?!? It's one thing if you know you're buying a kit (like the ones I have where you have to work on everything), but to get a doll straight from a company like this is pretty bad :(
ReplyDeleteIn the pics where it's just the head on the box or whatever, the skin tone doesn't look that bad...but when you have him next to Kaede and Myles...it's like he's got a mild sunburn. ROFL *shot*
Wow, that looks and sounds like shit-ass......... Now i'm worried about my zinc that's on layaway..... with the recent box openings with soom, seems like soom quality is dropping a real time low....... plus i'm not surprised if the head you got was actually a previous person's doll head that got sent back to soom and they thought they can give it to a international customer cause it would be a pain in the butt to resend it back......
ReplyDelete@Machiko: Yup T_T I know I didn't get the sanding option, plus it's blank, but that still doesn't mean it's okay for all the other little faults to happen... Sighhh LOL, sunburn..it's exactly what it looks like. ><
ReplyDelete@Kim: The person who sent their doll head back was from Canada too... but I wouldn't be surprised if they sent me theirs and just reinforced the eye wells, it would save them the trouble of re-casting another head. And I don't think you'll have problems with Zinc, I mean you did order him fullset so maybe they'd do a better job on him. But who knows o_O
Man, considering the price and amount of time need to wait for these dolls, I'd expect them to do a pretty good job on it. Soom is a reputable company so I never expected this either. Now I am worried for my Chrom. I have heard rumors about Soom dolls being cast in China but I don't know if it's true. Still, you'd expect some quality control. Are you going to post this on DOA? Some other people might have the same problem as you. O_O
ReplyDelete@Galileo: I have also heard that rumor and I really wouldn't be surprised if that were true. It sucks since it's my first doll from them and this encounter wounded my chances of ever owning a Soom doll severely. I don't think I'll post this on DoA since the doll is already out of the house so I consider it a closed case..^^' Other people have had problems, but I guess I haven't seen anyone publicly show that they had the same problems as I did.
ReplyDelete"Out of the house"? Did you sold him already? O.O? I'm sorry this had to happen to you. Soom makes lovely dolls but I hope this isn't going to be a widespread problem and end up like Custom House. -.-
ReplyDeleteYup, I did >_< Seeing as I have limited space and I wasn't gonna do anything with it. But the thing is Soom's prices are industry standard, in fact some of their limited fullsets cost as much as Volks ones, so with that price, you'd expect some higher quality finishing.. :/ ah well.
ReplyDeleteThat's such a bummer. But at least you were able to find him a new home really fast. (and now you've got your new puff, so you're pretty occupied anyways!)
ReplyDelete