Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Summerlicious

(excuse the bad quality of the images - all of the pictures were taken with my cellphone, as are most of the images posted on my blog - I forgot to bring my digicam)

Summerlicious :D More info about this event here at Toronto.com/Summerlicious.
After browsing around all the restaurants online, (but mainly judging by how good their desserts sounded) we(the four of us) headed out for 5th Element Fine Dining & Lounge located at 1033 Bay St. for lunch.


The appetizer was really quite tasty, and I thought it was the best out of the three dishes (or was it just because I was starving by the time we got there?). Bacon wrapped scallops and a soy reduction with California greens. The salad was okay (I like my salads with some crunch though) but the bacon and scallops were really yummy, and not too salty... I love bacon... *3*


For the main, I ordered the peppered Atlantic salmon with yellow curry sauce and Bismati Pilaf rice, which was shaped like a little pyramid (which I destroyed completely half-way through eating). I've been eating so much chicken at home (had it tonight) so salmon was a really nice change (love salmon). The rice was really good (love rice) and had a lot of different exotic spices in it, but it wasn't too overwhelming. The sauce balances everything together and was just perfect, not too spicy.


Anney & QC ordered the Methi crusted Tandoori chicken with tomato almond sauce and the same rice that I had.


Carmen ordered the vegetarian pasta Marguerita with goat cheese stuffing and sundried tomato sauce.


And finally the desserts! Carmen ordered the Peanut Butter Chocolate Feast with strawberry sauce, which she said tasted very much like Reese's pieces and was dreadfully sweet. I can imagine... I didn't taste it, but it just looks like it's dripping with sugar. XD


The three of us ordered the Orange Mango Cheesecake. To me, this was kind of a disappointment - the cake was really soft and airy. It tasted more like a mousse than cheesecake. I could taste the mango from the sauce and top layer, but I could hardly taste the orange. In addition, I didn't think the Oreo cookie crumb crust went well with the entire thing... I'd prefer a graham cracker crust or something with a less bitterish aftertaste. Maybe it would've worked well if there was more orange in it, though... XD

Overall, it was a great meal - despite the fact that they seated us right behind a huge pillar which blocked the view of our whole table. Haha, maybe it was because we were the only Chinese people in the whole restaurant (and the youngest, too)... :'D We're used to fast service, and eating fast... and we really ran out of things to socialize about, lol.

After, we decided to burn off the calories we'd ingested and walk around downtown.

Saw this really neat looking shoe. It looks like plastic is just being dripped over your foot or something, and really reminds me a lot of these Mary Janes from Vivienne Westwood...


Next was a costume/wig/props shop. QC is cosplaying the Joker. Somehow I can't stop LOLing at this pic. :'D


And yeah - I wanted to get a picture of a good overflowing garbage pile to put on my blog - and I found one! City strike, à la downtown.


...and QC made me take a picture of this poster, LOL. Just because it's taking place at the Hart House - which is part of her campus. Interesting.... 8D


We j-walked to SUGAR MOUNTAIN even though we were like 5 metres away from the traffic lights... -3-

I also want to mention this other funky store we visited called 'Propaganda'. They sold a lot of handmade things like plushies - they were so awesome. There was a plushie leg of ham, steak, toast, even BACON and there even was a sperm plushie. XDDD
And there were also a pair of earrings that were little mini scissors... brilliant. :D

Finally we got to the Eaton's Centre... and after sooo much walking (my legs still feel tired) off to home~Somehow we got in the first subway car and I got to have a view outside!! Carmen took this awesome pic for me... XD Cause I was afraid to... we were standing right beside the conductor's compartment. I got to see how they drive the train! XD

:D

I realize that I quite like blogging about food... I should do so more often.......... but eating out so much hurts my wallet... I totally window-shopped today - but I wish I didn't have to. All the clothes and shoes are so damn tempting...

Anyway, I think I did a whole week's worth of exercise today. T_T

Until next time~

5 comments:

  1. You did summerlicious!! Lucky D: Did you guys need to make reservations??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I want to go again... D;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah lets go again XD..
    we can go to the other restaurant that we listed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol high class food :OOO but the bacon wrapped scallops are so small !! My dad make really big ones xD!! -curious- How much was the meal O_O?

    ReplyDelete
  5. XD I'm broke..

    I thought the scallops were an okay size...

    ReplyDelete